Menlo Park, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 4, 2024
Over one million people in the world today are fighting blood cancer. While a traditional allogeneic stem cell transplant has been the best hope for many patients, the transplant itself can prove fatal or lead to serious conditions, such as graft versus host disease.
Orca Bio's investigational, high-precision cell therapies are designed to replace a patient's compromised blood and immune system with a healthy one, while dramatically lowering the risk of developing life-threatening or debilitating transplant-related side-effects. The first application of Orca Bio’s platform is in blood cancer where the unmet need is most acute; with a robust pipeline of promising cell therapies, we plan to extend into autoimmune diseases and genetic blood disorders as well.
The Research Technician, supporting our R&D engineering team, is responsible for conducting laboratory-based activities involving the sorting of patient blood specimens in support of technology development and clinical studies.
- Faithfully execute scientific protocols
- Basic wet lab work (use of pipettes, familiarity with measuring or diluting reagents)
- Perform basic coating processes on cell sample containers
- Process blood specimens
- Optimize cellular and molecular assays
- Use cell sorting/separation technologies
- PCR and qPCR
- Perform flow cytometry and analyze data
- Work with new technologies
- Create, review and support continuous improvements of records and SOPs
- Analyze results, maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes
- Participate in group research discussions
- Instrument set-up and preparation, maintenance, troubleshooting, operation, and cleanup
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or related field
- Experience with aseptic techniques
- Experience with molecular biology techniques, including nucleic acid isolation, PCR, qPCR
- Willingness to work on a flexible schedule [11am-7pm], as needed, and to work in a BSL-2 environment
- 3+ years of experience in process sciences, discovery research or manufacturing
- A background in immunology, oncology or cell therapy
- Flow cytometry experience, including sorting and analyzing cells
- Mammalian cell culture experience, experience working with PBMC’s
Personal Qualities Desired:
- Highly detail oriented with ability to pay attention to quality control
- Ability to multitask and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Demonstrated strong work ethic, curiosity to learn and contribute in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, including verbal and written communication
- Ability to work in a collegial manner, a team player who is tolerant and respectful
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and informal start-up environment
- Strong problem-solving skills
The anticipated annual salary range for this U.S. based job is $65,000– $85,000. The final offer will be based on professional experience previously in this role/industry, education, geographic location, internal equity, and other job-related factors as permitted by law. For remote-based candidates, this range may vary based on your local market. Actual compensation may vary. You will also be eligible to receive pre-IPO equity, in addition to medical, dental, vision, PTO, 401(k) plan, life and accidental death and disability coverage, and parental leave benefits. Total compensation will be determined at the Company's sole discretion.
Who we are
We are driven by a passion for science and compassion for patients. We act with urgency to ensure our treatments are one day accessible to all patients who need them.
We strive to do things right, and to embody our core values of passion, courage, and integrity. Excellence in our work means the potential to unlock a better quality of life for our patients, and with that comes tremendous responsibility.
We innovate daily on a path that hasn’t been paved. This means we lean heavily on our entrepreneurial spirit and are comfortable taking calculated risks to achieve progress toward our mission. It means we aren’t afraid to ask “why not,” and encourage lively discourse around rethinking the status quo.
We work hard to preserve our start-up culture rooted in camaraderie and leadership by example - by everyone, regardless of title.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and have seen how our differences - when celebrated and woven together - create stronger and more lasting solutions that better serve our team, our partners, and most importantly, our patients and the providers who treat them.
Notice to staffing firms
Orca Bio does not accept resumes from staffing agencies with which we do not have a written agreement and specific engagement for a particular opening. Our employment activities, inquiries and offers are managed through our HR/Talent department, and all candidates are presented through this channel only. We do not accept unsolicited resumes.