Senior Controls Engineer (I,II,III)
Bridgewater, NJ, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2024
We are seeking a Senior Controls Engineer who will contribute to the commissioning and support of our advanced cell therapy manufacturing platform at our IDMO facility in Bridgewater, New Jersey.
The primary focus of this position will be the commissioning and support of our Cell Shuttle hardware platform. You will collaborate closely with our Controls Engineering and Field Service teams to install and commission new Cell Shuttles. You will take an active role in developing installation and service procedures. In this role, you will work with state-of-the-art automation equipment, including industrial robotics and software-based automation.
Candidates should enjoy working in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment and be prepared to tackle various challenges as the company grows. This role will primarily be located in our Bridgewater, New Jersey facility, with up to 15% travel to South San Francisco and other Cellares locations. Initial training will be provided in South San Francisco.
- Commission, maintain, and troubleshoot advanced automation equipment
- Contribute to and develop commissioning and acceptance test documentation, including installation guides, I/O checklists, and safety buy-offs
- Provide technical support for controls-related functions, including configuration and troubleshooting of networking and fieldbus components, robotics, PLCs, sensors, and motors and drives
- Provide recommendations that improve process efficiency, work closely with the Controls and Software teams to implement and test new features, and follow all necessary change control procedures
- Escalate issues to supervisor/manager and quality team when necessary
- Own and execute the completion of CAPA actions
- Support and execute change controls and participate in all aspects of the change controls process
- Participate in audits and inspections as Controls SME
- Associate's degree or Bachelor of Science degree in Controls Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Electrical or Electronics Engineering
- 6+ years of experience supporting automation equipment
- Experience working with PLC-based automation equipment, for example, working with Siemens TIA Portal, Beckhoff TwinCAT 3, or Rockwell Studio 5000, with a focus primarily on hardware configuration and troubleshooting devices in the network or I/O tree
- Experience working in a GMP / regulated environment is required
- Experience reading and interpreting electrical and pneumatic schematics
- Comfortable working on electronic systems ranging from 5 VDC to 480 VAC
- Hands-on experience with wiring, configuring, and troubleshooting electrical and control systems
- Demonstrated ability to commission and troubleshoot basic automation components: PLCs, HMI’s, VFDs, servo drives, actuators, etc
- Ability to read and understand Structured Text language (also known as SCL)
- Ability to read and interpret equipment log files, including understanding of stack traces to troubleshoot custom OEM instrumentation
- Experience working with and troubleshooting fieldbus technologies such as EtherCAT, Profinet, EtherNet/IP
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, collaborative start-up environment
- Self-awareness, integrity, authenticity, and a growth mindset
Nice to Have
- Proficiency in Python or other scripting languages
- Experience using source control tools such as Git or SVN
- Experience teaching industrial articulated robots (i.e. Kuka, ABB, Staubli)
- Experience with at least one major HMI software, such as Ignition, Wonderware, WinCC
This is Cellares
Cellares is the first Integrated Development and Manufacturing Organization (IDMO) and takes an Industry 4.0 approach to mass manufacturing the living drugs of the 21st century. The company is both developing and operating integrated technologies for cell therapy manufacturing to accelerate access to life-saving cell therapies. The company’s Cell Shuttle integrates all the technologies required for the entire manufacturing process in a flexible and high-throughput platform that delivers true walk-away, end-to-end automation. Cell Shuttles will be deployed in Cellares’ Smart Factories around the world to meet total patient demand for cell therapies at global scale. Partnering with Cellares enables academics, biotechs, and pharma companies to accelerate drug development and scale out manufacturing, lower process failure rates, lower manufacturing costs, and meet global patient demand.
The company is headquartered in South San Francisco, California with its commercial-scale IDMO Smart Factory in Bridgewater, New Jersey. The company is backed by world-class investors and has raised over $355 million in financing.
Leveling will be based on overall experience, education, and demonstration of knowledge throughout the interview process.