Scientist / Senior Scientist - Immuno-Oncology
Durham, NC, USA
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2023
Xilis, Inc. has been developing cutting-edge Patient-Derived Micro-OrganoSpheres (MOS) technology for precision cancer diagnostics and drug development in the Research Triangle Park in Durham, NC. Xilis’ transformative platform recreates patient-specific tumors in their 3D and environmental complexity at micro-scale ex vivo, allowing high-throughput, clinically relevant, and affordable experimental selection of the most effective drugs for each and every patient in a matter of days. The company aims to transform cancer care by ensuring each and every patient gets treated in a timely manner with the most appropriate drug(s) available to them. We are supported in this mission by top Silicon Valley and New York venture firms that are leaders in the healthcare space with extensive experience in supporting precision medicine companies such as Foundation Medicine and Guardant Health.
We are looking for a motivated and innovative scientist / sr. scientist to join our growing team to execute critical experiments. In this role, the scientist / sr. scientist hired will support collaborative projects with biotech and pharma companies and academic institutions focused on leveraging MOS technology in the immuno-oncology space. The selected candidate will work very closely with thought leaders in the fields of cancer immune biology and assay development and will perform research, participate in detailed analysis, draw conclusions, and formulate next steps / experimental designs. The successful candidate will present data and lead scientific conversations internally and with partners. The successful candidate will bring exceptional skills to the laboratory and an ability to independently run large and complex experiments, and will have prior experience in primary cell culture involving immune co-culture assays, immune cell characterization by flow cytometry, cell viability assays, and a demonstrated ability to operate lab instrumentation. He or she will be highly motivated, have a strong work ethic, and have excellent communication skills. The candidate will report to Xilis’ Director of Research & Development.
The candidate will have the opportunity to fundamentally advance precision cancer care by developing cutting-edge scientific methods into Xilis’ technology portfolio. In the next few months and years, the candidate will:
- Design and run large and complex experiments and develop novel assays
- Personally spearhead the most critical assays and experiments necessary to support ongoing development efforts
- Participate in meetings with scientific experts from partner organizations. Present data.
- Carefully maintain meticulous records of experimental designs, execution details, and results
- Organize and transparently present experimental results to the cross-functional team
- Participate in project planning, data analysis, and other scientific activities
- Support laboratory operations, troubleshooting of issues, SOP development, and maintenance
- Operate successfully in a rapidly changing, fast-paced, mission-driven environment
- Share thoughts and ideas on how to improve performance in the lab
- Perform support tasks across the company as needs arise
- Collaborate and co-develop assays with our Xilis BV team in the Netherlands
- Ph.D. degree in immunology, oncology or a related field
- 3+ years of postdoctoral laboratory experience in an academic or industrial setting
- Experience with 3D organoid cultures, primary immune cell cultures, ELISA, immunofluorescence, and confocal microscopy is desirable
- Extensive tissue culture experience and flow cytometry are a must
- A proven track record of independently and successfully running complex experiments
- Hands-on experience with processing and handling of primary tissue samples
- A strong enthusiasm for being in the laboratory to personally run experiments
- A strong sense of commitment, integrity and team spirit
- Experience and interest in a high-growth startup, where communication is key
- Being flexible on working schedules and tasks
- Open to engage proactively in scientific discussions
- Identifying scientific gaps and employing solution-focused approaches
Xilis was created when its three founders — an engineer, a physician, and a biologist — decided to come together and commercialize their technology to transform cancer care. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Furthermore, even if your work experience isn't perfectly aligned with what we've described above, if you're excited about what we're building then we want to talk to you!
Xilis offers comprehensive health, vision, dental & retirement plans, and unlimited PTO. We are a remote-friendly team: our headquarters are in Durham, North Carolina, but we have team members across the US (and beyond!).