Head of Data Science
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2023
We are advancing AI to power the future of medicine.
At Unlearn, our purpose is to advance artificial intelligence (AI) to eliminate trial and error in medicine. We are developing generative machine learning methods to predict individual health outcomes and accelerate clinical innovation. Today, we are reimagining the randomized control trial (RCT) for the 21st century through AI-powered clinical trials or TwinRCT. A TwinRCT allows more trial patients to receive the experimental treatment, reaches full enrollment faster and put patients first. Our innovative work in AI today will reinvent how AI is applied in medicine tomorrow — and we have a top secret plan for how to get there. We won’t be able to achieve this mission just by applying technologies created by others; the future must be invented.
Unlearn is a technology company, not a biotech company. We use computers, not pipettes. We make and use software, we don’t discover or make drugs. We believe that AI will define the future of medicine, and we aren’t deterred by naysayers or skeptics.
We come from a variety of backgrounds ranging from machine learning to marketing—but regardless of where we come from, Unlearners share some common traits:
>> Unlearners are ambitious; we aren’t intimidated by big, challenging goals.
>> Unlearners are disciplined experimenters; we break down our big goals into smaller chunks and meet as often as necessary to track our velocity and iterate quickly.
>> Unlearners are gritty; we never give up, setbacks just make us try harder.
>> Unlearners are receptive to new ideas; in fact, we hate being stuck with the status quo.
>> Unlearners are storytellers; sharing information with each other and with the world is super important, too important to be boring. And, last but not least,
>> Unlearners are team-oriented; we put the mission first, the company second, the team third, and individuals last.
Founded in 2017 by a team of world-class machine learning scientists, we have raised venture capital from top tier investors such as Insight Partners, Radical Ventures, 8VC, DCVC, and DCVC Bio. We completed our $50 million Series B in April 2022. We are headquartered in San Francisco, CA and have an additional office in Boston, MA.
If our purpose and culture resonate with you, we invite you to apply.
About the role
High-quality data is essential to our success at Unlearn. Internally, we use data products to encapsulate data, domain knowledge, and documentation needed to make excellent AI models. These data products are owned by a group made up of excellent data scientists, clinical scientists, and software engineers. This role will be leading this group as it continues to develop and grow impactful data products that influence modeling and decision-making throughout the company.
- Leading the group in its goal to develop innovative data products, data tools, and operationalize them.
- Being accountable to company leadership for quarterly and yearly goals on the internal delivery of data products that are used in our ML pipeline.
- Working across groups and organizations at Unlearn to achieve strategic objectives.
- People management for the group, including hiring and performance management.
- Growing technical leadership within the team and contributing technical guidance where useful.
- 7+ years of experience
- Experience leading teams and working cross-functionally on strategic objectives.
- Experience working with clinical datasets.
- Demonstrated technical leadership in data science or data analytics.
- Experience hiring and managing technical personnel.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in collaborative software development.
- Experience with clinical datasets in applied machine learning applications.
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams that include scientists, engineers, and product management.
Benefits & Perks
We offer a suite of benefits and perks for our team members, including:
• Company-paid medical, dental, & vision insurance
• 401k plan with generous company matching
• Flexible time off and an annual winter break (December 24 - January 1)
• Professional development budget to attend conferences or other events
• One-time home-office set up stipend
• Commuter benefits to help you get to our offices easily
• Paid Parental Leave
• Equity education and tax advisory services
Unlearn is an equal opportunity employer.
At Unlearn, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, because inclusion and diversity are essential to achieving our mission. If you’re excited about this role, and your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply nevertheless.
See more open positions at Unlearn
Something looks off?