Automation Control Software Engineer
The Boring Company
Las Vegas, NV, USA
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2024
The Boring Company was founded to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic by creating an underground network of tunnels. Today, we are creating the technology to increase tunneling speed and decrease costs by a factor of 10 or more with the ultimate goal of making Hyperloop adoption viable and enabling rapid transit across densely populated regions.
As a Software Engineer you will be primarily responsible for building command and control systems for our proprietary tunnel boring machines.
- Design, develop, deploy software to PLCs for controlling mechanical, electrical and hydraulic systems on the tunnel boring machine.
- Design user interfaces and support operators during the mining process.
- Ensure a safe mining operation by implementing safety lockouts and alerting mechanisms.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent field.
- Experience developing software applications in C/C++ or similar high level language.
- Experience with modern software development workflow (e.g. Git, unit testing, Linux and Windows OSes).
- Fluent in software fundamentals including software design, backend infrastructure, code modularity and maintainability.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Track record of projects where control techniques have been applied to electrical and/or mechatronic systems.
- Experience with controlling systems in safety critical applications.
- Experience with Beckhoff, Siemens, or Allen Bradley PLCs.
- Able to communicate and work well with cross-functional teams.
- Experience with sensors and actuators commonly used in mechanical, electrical and hydraulic systems.
- Ability to work long hours and weekends as necessary.
- Ability to travel last minute up to 20%.
We're a team of dedicated, smart, and scrappy people. Our employees are passionate about our mission and determined to innovate at every opportunity.
We offer employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) plan, paid holidays, paid vacation, and a competitive amount of equity for all permanent employees.
The Boring Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Boring Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.