Safety Operations Manager
The Boring Company
Las Vegas, NV, USA
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2023
The Boring Company was founded to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic by creating an underground network of tunnels. Today, we are creating the technology to increase tunneling speed and decrease costs by a factor of 10 or more with the ultimate goal of making Hyperloop adoption viable and enabling rapid transit across densely populated regions.
The Safety Operations Manager position plays an important role in overseeing the safety and well-being of TBC employees. As the Safety Operations Manager, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining safety protocols, staying up to date with the latest OSHA and MSHA regulations, and driving a culture of safety excellence throughout the organization. You will be responsible for identifying problems and quickly recommending and implementing solutions as well as responding to safety incidents as applicable. This role requires someone with phenomenal multi-tasking skills and a passion for creating and maintaining safe work environments. This is a hybrid role that requires both strategic leadership and hands-on involvement to achieve standardized safety practices across all construction operations in Las Vegas and eventually in other locations across the United States and internationally.
- Develop and implement comprehensive safety programs and procedures for construction sites in accordance with OSHA and MSHA regulations.
- Monitor and enforce compliance with safety policies, procedures, and regulations to ensure a safe working environment for all employees and contractors.
- Conduct daily safety audits and inspections of construction sites to identify potential hazards and ensure corrective actions are taken promptly.
- Develop and implement corrective action to ensure process, procedure, or equipment failures don't happen again.
- Create and publish training programs and materials to educate and inform workforce on workplace safety, environmental safety, and injury and illness prevention.
- Deliver safety orientation to new-hires.
- Distribute personal protective equipment (PPE) to employees.
- Investigate accidents, incidents, and near-misses, and develop reports with recommendations for preventive actions.
- Conduct gas tests of the shaft and tunnel and record and report all findings to supervisor.
- Collaborate with project managers and site supervisors to create and maintain a culture of safety awareness and accountability.
- Provide expert guidance on safety-related matters and recommend appropriate measures to mitigate risks and improve safety performance.
- Stay up to date with the latest industry trends, best practices, and regulatory changes related to construction safety.
- Maintain accurate records of safety-related incidents, training sessions, inspections, and corrective actions.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for external regulatory agencies and ensure compliance with all safety-related inspections and permits.
- Bachelor's degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Construction Management, Engineering, or a related field.
- Construction safety certifications such as Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST), or Occupational Health and Safety Technologist (OHST).
- In-depth knowledge of OSHA and MSHA regulations, standards, and best practices.
- Proven experience (6+ years) in construction safety management, preferably in large-scale construction projects.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to influence and motivate others to prioritize safety.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively convey safety-related information and provide training to diverse audiences.
- High level of urgency and resourcefulness in identifying and resolving safety issues.
- Ability to think strategically and act as a safety strategist while also being comfortable with hands-on involvement as an individual contributor.
- Demonstrated ability to embed safety into all company operations and drive a culture of safety excellence.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills to assess risks and develop effective solutions.
We're a team of dedicated, smart, and scrappy people. Our employees are passionate about our mission and determined to innovate at every opportunity.
We offer employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) plan, paid holidays, paid vacation, and a competitive amount of equity for all permanent employees.
The Boring Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Boring Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.