Quality Control Lab Manager
We are Sila, a next-generation battery materials company. Our mission is to power the world’s transition to clean energy. To create this future, our team is building a better lithium-ion battery from the inside out today. We engineer and manufacture ground-breaking battery materials that significantly increase the energy density of batteries, while reducing their size and weight. The result? Smaller more powerful batteries that can unlock innovation in consumer devices and accelerate the mass adoption of electric cars to eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels. We're tackling one of the biggest challenges of our time every day, and together we're redefining what's possible. Are you ready to be a part of a team committed to changing the world?
Who You Are
As the Quality Control Lab Manager in Mose Lake you will help create the next generation of battery materials by focusing on Sila’s operational ability to execute quality control testing and report results. You will oversee all aspects of quality control laboratory operation including management of daily operations, continuous improvement of laboratory processes and systems, and the operationalization of new instruments, methods, and systems. In a leadership capacity, you are someone who will build effective teams through recruiting, onboarding, coaching, effective prioritization and planning, feedback, and career development. You will help reports deliver results, develop analytical skills, and grow capabilities.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage quality control laboratory daily activities to meet production, development, and research needs, deliver against performance metrics and lead preparations for upcoming activities and workloads
- Apply technical subject matter expertise to (1) troubleshoot and continuously improve existing analytical methods, (2) influence analytical development strategy, and (3) operationalize new analytical methods
- Implement and improve quality control systems in alignment with company quality management system strategic objectives and timelines and customer needs (eg, calibration and verification program, sample flow, retain system, etc.)
- Design, coordinate execution, and report results of measurement system analysis and material shelf life studies
- Manage and drive standard work practices and documentation. Ensure the team is trained on-time and maintain training records.
- Hire and train top talent for all open positions in area of responsibility; highlight and manage resources to match needs
- With reports, collaboratively develop goals, coordinate and track progress of plans, allocate roles and responsibilities, and navigate challenges and roadblocks
- Provide clear roles and responsibilities for the team and tie to Sila's success. Deliver constructive feedback, recognize key contributions, and celebrate wins
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a scientific or engineering discipline
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in a quality control laboratory environment
- Quality Systems: Experience working within a quality management system; strong understanding of quality control systems and processes. Strong understanding of ISO 17025 preferred.
- Technical Acumen: Strong understanding of particle analytical technologies and measurement system analysis principles
- Continuous Improvement Projects: Highly effective working with cross-functional teams to identify and drive continuous improvement projects.
- Operations Support: Highly effective working with manufacturing and technical support teams to investigate potential quality-impacting events in production and develop/implement CAPAs.
- Leadership & Autonomy: Can effectively manage multiple responsibilities, is self-motivated and can work autonomously with minimal guidance. Comfortable with ambiguity and eager to create structure. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. People management experience is preferred.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear respiratory protection on a daily basis
- Wear personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, a lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, and steel toe safety shoes
- Move items up to 50 lbs with the assistance of lift equipment and carts
- Move long distances (such as from building to building) and be stationary for extended periods of time
- Reach low shelves or items on the floor
- Operate a computer and other office equipment, such as a laptop, copier/printer, etc in a fixed location
The starting base pay for this role is between $108,000 and $137,000 at the time of posting. The actual base pay depends on many factors, such as education, experience, and skills. Base pay is only one part of Sila’s competitive Total Rewards package that can include benefits, perks, equity, and bonuses. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the futurea
Working at Sila
We believe that building a diverse team at Sila helps us amplify our individual talents. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment where good ideas are free to come from anyone. We are proud to celebrate diversity and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law.