Senior I/E System Engineer
We are Sila, a next-generation battery materials company. Our mission is to power the world’s transition to clean energy. To create this future, our team is building a better lithium-ion battery from the inside out today. We engineer and manufacture ground-breaking battery materials that significantly increase the energy density of batteries, while reducing their size and weight. The result? Smaller more powerful batteries that can unlock innovation in consumer devices and accelerate the mass adoption of electric cars to eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels. We're tackling one of the biggest challenges of our time every day, and together we're redefining what's possible. Are you ready to be a part of a team committed to changing the world?
Who You Are
As the first Senior Instrumentation/Electrical System Engineer on the SILA Moses Lake factory engineering team your unique combination of experience, technical expertise, planning and troubleshooting skills will be critical to our ambitious goal of establishing and maintaining production of our advanced battery materials at scale. You will be part of the commissioning of SILA’s very first mass-scale manufacturing line. Given your experience, you will have the chance to optimize and influence our instrumentation strategy to ensure the highest equipment and facility uptime. You will be the team’s go-to instrumentation/electrical engineering support to address a diverse set of challenges that we face on a daily basis. Using a combination of deep process, operations and equipment/control knowledge, you will efficiently solve production issues at their core as well as suggest and implement improvements to the equipment design and control with the help of your peers and other team members from across Sila. You will also play a significant role in our long-term success by leading process throughput, performance, reliability and safety improvements; ensuring that the operations team can consistently deliver more of our product to a growing list of customers!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Design, development, testing and troubleshooting of Instrumentation and control systems for industrial processes
- Specification and integration of instrumentation, controllers, transmitters, and sensors for industrial processes
- Creation of schematics, diagrams, and layouts for control systems.
- PLC programming, SCADA/Ignition system integration.
- Develop inspection and equipment health check strategy and documentation.
- Participate in cost-benefit evaluations and feasibility studies.
- Review and approve instrumentation and control system design documents, including specifications, drawings, and calculations.
- Ensure that instrumentation and control systems are designed and installed in compliance with applicable codes, standards, and regulations.
- Provide technical guidance and support to other team members.
- Keep abreast on new developments in the field of instrumentation and control systems as well as market trends.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in instrumentation and control system design, analysis, and implementation
- Proficiency in using CAD software for control system design
- Experience with control system programming and software tools such as PLC programming, SCADA systems, Ignition
- Knowledge of codes, standards, and regulations related to instrumentation and control systems, such as ISA, IEC, and NEC
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience with industrial processes and equipment, such as pumps, motors, and valves, and furnaces is a plus
- Familiarity with working in a PSM facility
- Professional Engineering (PE) license is preferred
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear respiratory protection on a daily basis
- Wear personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, a lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, and steel toe safety shoes
- Operate on open electrical control and distribution cabinets
- Move items up to 50 lbs with the assistance of lift equipment and carts
- Move long distances (such as from building to building) and be stationary for extended periods of time
- Reach low shelves or items on the floor
- Enter spaces narrower than 3 feet
- Climb stairs or over containment walls
- Precise and repetitive handling of a range of material quantities
- Operate a computer and other office equipment, such as a laptop, copier/printer, etc in a fixed location
The starting base pay for this role is between $155,000 and $196,000 at the time of posting. The actual base pay depends on many factors, such as education, experience, and skills. Base pay is only one part of Sila’s competitive Total Rewards package that can include benefits, perks, equity, and bonuses. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Working at Sila
We believe that building a diverse team at Sila helps us amplify our individual talents. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment where good ideas are free to come from anyone. We are proud to celebrate diversity and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law.