Research Scientist, Electrolyte Discovery
We are Sila, a next-generation battery materials company. Our mission is to power the world’s transition to clean energy. To create this future, our team is building a better lithium-ion battery from the inside out today. We engineer and manufacture ground-breaking battery materials that significantly increase the energy density of batteries, while reducing their size and weight. The result? Smaller more powerful batteries that can unlock innovation in consumer devices and accelerate the mass adoption of electric cars to eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels. We're tackling one of the biggest challenges of our time every day, and together we're redefining what's possible. Are you ready to be a part of a team committed to changing the world?
Who You Are
Are you a thoughtful, diligent, and persistent research professional? Are you excited at the prospect of helping to build the next generation of battery materials and technologies? Sila seeks a Research Scientist to contribute to the optimization of electrolytes by designing and applying novel electrolyte molecules and recipes. As part of a collaborative effort, you will help streamline the electrolyte discovery by applying physicochemical analyses and modeling techniques.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work with a cross-company team of diverse backgrounds to understand and maximize Li-ion batteries' performance by designing novel electrolyte molecules and improving existing electrolyte recipes.
- Advance the development of physicochemical analyses such as conductivity, transference number, diffusivity, and cyclic voltammetry.
- Advance the development of a quantitative structure-activity relationship (QSAR) electrolyte model and AI-driven technologies for ELY discovery and optimization.
- Ensure that data collection and analysis is rigorous and helps lead to unambiguous results.
- Pursue the skills and knowledge to help meet immediate and long-term project needs.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- 2+ years of focused experience in electrolyte analysis, Li-ion batteries, and modeling.
- Necessary computing skills: Python, MATLAB, SQL.
- Experience in Electrochemistry, Chemistry, and Materials Science: electroanalytical methods.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Chemistry or a related discipline.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Operate a computer and other office equipment, such as a laptop, copier/printer, etc, in a fixed location.
- Wear personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, a lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, and steel-toe safety shoes
- Able to work in a laboratory using glove boxes and fume hoods
- Pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear respiratory protection on an occasional basis
- Move long distances (such as from building to building) and be stationary for extended periods of time
The starting base pay for this role is between $128,000 and $162,000 at the time of posting. The actual base pay depends on many factors, such as education, experience, and skills. Base pay is only one part of Sila’s competitive Total Rewards package that can include benefits, perks, equity, and bonuses. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. #LI-PL1 #LI-Hybrid
Working at Sila
We believe that building a diverse team at Sila helps us amplify our individual talents. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment where good ideas are free to come from anyone. We are proud to celebrate diversity and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law.