Scientist, Materials Chemist
We are Sila, a next-generation battery materials company. Our mission is to power the world’s transition to clean energy. To create this future, our team is building a better lithium-ion battery from the inside out today. We engineer and manufacture ground-breaking battery materials that significantly increase the energy density of batteries, while reducing their size and weight. The result? Smaller more powerful batteries that can unlock innovation in consumer devices and accelerate the mass adoption of electric cars to eliminate our dependence on fossil fuels. We're tackling one of the biggest challenges of our time every day, and together we're redefining what's possible. Are you ready to be a part of a team committed to changing the world?
Who You Are
As a Research Scientist, you will be at the forefront of conducting innovative research for next-generation lithium-ion battery technology. You are a scientist with hands-on experience with materials design, synthesis, and characterization. You have a track record of innovation and driving fundamental understandings in your field. You will enable the commercialization of battery materials by developing sophisticated anode materials and collaborating across technical teams to achieve critical technical and project milestones.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Design and develop new processes for synthesizing next-generation anode materials
- Propose and explore new technical pathways to achieve project milestones
- Characterize anode materials and determine structure-property relationships to guide future research directions
- Collaboratively evaluate anode performance in battery cells
- Evaluate commercial readiness and support commercialization of Sila materials
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Materials Science, or Chemical Engineering
- 2+ years of industry experience
- Hands-on experience with solid-state synthesis and gas-solid reactions
- Experience with ceramic powder processing and solid-liquid mixtures is a plus
- Strong background of innovation and ability to conduct independent research to drive scientific breakthroughs
- Ability to lead rational investigation of materials and alternative synthesis routes in a systematic manner
- Expertise in diverse advanced processing and analytical techniques for inorganic materials
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Wear personal protective equipment including, but not limited to, a lab coat, gloves, safety glasses, and steel-toe safety shoes
- Able to work in a laboratory using glove boxes and fume hoods
- Pass a respirator fit test and be able to wear respiratory protection on an occasional basis
- Move long distances (such as from building to building) and be stationary for extended periods of time
Regular Shift: Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 6:00pm
The starting base pay for this role is between $151,000 and $191,000 at the time of posting. The actual base pay depends on many factors, such as education, experience, and skills. Base pay is only one part of Sila’s competitive Total Rewards package that can include benefits, perks, equity, and bonuses. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Working at Sila
We believe that building a diverse team at Sila helps us amplify our individual talents. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment where good ideas are free to come from anyone. We are proud to celebrate diversity and all qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, national origin, or any other status protected by law.