Senior Scientist - Cell-free protein synthesis
A career at Resilience is more than just a job – it’s an opportunity to change the future.
Resilience is a technology-focused biomanufacturing company that’s changing the way medicine is made. We’re building a sustainable network of high-tech, end-to-end manufacturing solutions to better withstand disruptive events, serve scientific discovery, and reach those in need.
For more information, please visit www.resilience.com
RESILIENCE (National Resilience, Inc.) is a first-of-its-kind manufacturing and technology company dedicated to broadening access to complex medicines and protecting biopharmaceutical supply chains against disruption. Founded in 2020, the company is building a sustainable network of high-tech, end-to-end manufacturing solutions to ensure the medicines of today and tomorrow can be made quickly, safely, and at scale. RESILIENCE will offer the highest quality and regulatory capabilities, and flexible and adaptive facilities to serve partners of all sizes. By continuously advancing the science of biopharmaceutical manufacturing and development, RESILIENCE frees partners to focus on the discoveries that improve patients’ lives.
For more information, visit www.resilience.com
As a Senior Scientist, you will drive the expansion of applications of our cell-free and microbial technology platforms in the biopharmaceutical industry by designing, owning, and implementing client and internal development projects across scales. The work will involve cell-free reaction optimization and engineering informed and enabled by cellular engineering, molecular biology, protein engineering, and protein purification and characterization using techniques such as SDS-PAGE, LC-MS, ELISA, and biophysical assays. You’ll be a key part of our platform development team working to scale-up and diversify the applications of our cell-free process by making a wider variety of proteins, particularly those that are challenging to make in cells or require on-demand production in greater amounts and with improved quality. You’ll also help design and implement high-throughput experimentation campaigns for rapid molecular development and characterization of therapeutic candidates.
- Improve and build upon our cell-free synthesis, purification, and characterization platform to deliver new classes of proteins and improve protein yield and quality using synthetic biology, protein chemistry, and metabolic engineering.
- Design and execute high-throughput experiments to screen, characterize, engineer, and produce preparative amounts of protein therapeutic candidates.
- Independently design and execute cell-free and microbial protein expression optimizations for therapeutic proteins using a wide variety of techniques including activity assays, electrophoresis, LC-MS expression, cell culture (bacterial).
- Independently develop and on-board new equipment and experimental tools to better design, build, and test production methods and novel therapeutics.
- Prepare and validate materials for cell-free protein expression for use at the bench and pilot scale and across multiple sites.
- Design and implement experiments to install and characterize post-translational protein modifications in cell-free systems.
- Independently develop, lead, and manage client cell-free and microbial production projects.
- Develop and implement methods to purify proteins at various scales from magnetic beads to AKTA Explorer/AKTA Pilot.
- Characterize proteins using UPLC, SDS-PAGE, LC-MS, ELISA, activity assays, and biophysical assays such as light scattering.
- Design plasmid and genomic DNA using synthetic biology-based methods.
- Design and conduct microbial and cell-free fermentations using off-the-shelf and customized bioreactor systems.
- Mentor and/or manage junior researchers within the cell-free protein synthesis and microbial process development group.
- Develop automation methods to increase cell-free protein synthesis throughput and robustness.
- Assist with large-scale fermentation and bioprocessing campaigns and implementation of workflows across Resilience sites.
- Interpret and present experimental data to colleagues, clients, and company leadership.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Extensive experience in DNA design and molecular cloning, microbial fermentation, protein expression, purification, and characterization (preferably of protein therapeutics) in bacterial and eukaryotic systems.
- Direct experience with in vitro transcription translation or cell-free protein synthesis systems.
- Experience in defining and leading complex, client-facing projects with tight timelines.
- Experience in organizing, multitasking, and adapting to changing priorities.
- Experience in training and managing junior personnel.
- Experience with high-throughput workflows for protein expression and characterization.
- Experience in protein engineering, development, and production of therapeutics and vaccines.
- Experience with biopharmaceutical analytical methods such as ELISA, LC-MS/MS, light scattering, and UPLC.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with strong technical writing experience.
- Availability to work full-time hours at our Oakland, CA location.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- MS (+8 years experience) or PhD (+6 years experience), in Bioengineering, Biochemistry, Synthetic Biology, Biological Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Chemical Engineering, or related fields.
- Direct experience with bacterial and microbial genome engineering.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced small company environment with a drive to creatively solve problems across teams around how to speed up protein therapeutic development and experimental workflows.
- High intrinsic motivation and a desire to learn new techniques and work directly with clients to improve the platform while meeting the needs of specific applications.
- Highly collaborative, flexible working style with the ability to work with colleagues and clients to accomplish goals more quickly.
Role/Site Specific Requirements
This position may also include the following:
- Visual acuity (such as: working with data & figures, viewing computer terminal, extensive reading, operating machinery, operating motor vehicles, general observations of facilities, etc.)
- Flexibility to be on-call or present at irregular hours during fermentation and bioprocessing campaigns (comp time provided)
- Occasional travel (not more than twice per year), e.g., to other Resilience sites for technology transfer projects
- All employees are expected to adhere to the Quality Management System established in the Quality Manual, Quality Policy, Standard Operating Procedures, Current Good Manufacturing Practices, and any other applicable regulations and standards to the duties within their role
- The items described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Resilience is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or characteristic, or other non-job-related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state, and local laws. Requests for reasonable accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process.Resilience offers employees a robust total rewards program including equity, an annual cash bonus program, a 401(k) plan with a generous company match and our benefits package which is thoughtfully designed to support our employees with great healthcare (including medical, dental and vision), family building benefits, life and disability insurance, flexible time off, paid holidays, other paid leaves of absence, tuition reimbursement and support for caregiving needs. Our target annualized base pay hiring range for this position is $120,000.00 - $172,500.00. Actual base pay is dependent upon a number of factors, including but not limited to, the candidate’s geographical location, relevant experience, qualifications, skills and knowledge. Excited about Resilience and the biomanufacturing revolution? We encourage you to apply and start a conversation with one of our recruiters.