Litigation Claims Examiner
Reserv is an insurtech creating and incubating cutting-edge AI and automation technology to bring efficiency and simplicity to claims. Founded by insurtech veterans with deep experience in SaaS and digital claims, Reserv is venture-backed by Bain Capital and Altai Ventures and began operations in May 2022. We are focused on automating highly manual tasks to tackle long-standing problems in claims and set a new standard for TPAs, insurance technology providers, and adjusters alike.
We have ambitious (but attainable!) goals and need adjusters who can work in an evolving environment. If building a leading TPA and the prospect of tackling the long-standing challenges of the claims role sounds exciting, we can’t wait to meet you.
About the role
We are seeking a skilled Litigation Claims Examiner to manage litigated files and attend trials, conferences, mediations, and arbitrations. The successful candidate will:
- Investigate and gather all necessary information and documentation related to claims
- Evaluate liability and damages
- Negotiate and settle claims
- Manage litigation cases related to auto claims disputes
The Litigation Claims Examiner will also be responsible for maintaining electronic files, analyzing defense counsel's performance, and regularly reporting to the Claims Manager. In addition, you will collaborate closely with our product and engineering teams to give feedback and identify technology and process improvements.
Who you are
- Highly motivated and growth-oriented. You're excited by the prospect of building a tech-driven claims org.
- Passionate adjuster who cares about the customer and their experience.
- Empathetic. You exercise empathy and patience towards everyone you interact with.
- Sense of urgency - at all times. That does not mean working at all hours.
- Creative. You can find the right exit ramp (pun intended) for the resolution of the claim that is in the insured’s best interest.
- Conflict-enjoyer. Conflict does not have to be adversarial, but it HAS to be conversational.
- Curious. You have to want to know the whole story so you can make the right decisions early and action them to a prompt resolution.
- Anti-status quo. You don’t just wish things were done differently, you action on it.
- Communicative. (we'd love to know what this means to you)
- And did we mention, a sense of humor. Claims are hard enough as it is.
What we need
We need you to do all the things typical to the role:
- Managing legal aspects of litigated cases, including evaluation of legal process and expenses
- Analyzing and reviewing auto insurance claims to identify areas of dispute, investigating and gathering all necessary information and documentation related to the claim, evaluating liability and damages related to the claim, and negotiating and settling claims with opposing parties or their insurance providers
- Managing litigation cases related to auto claims disputes, attending mediations, arbitrations, and court hearings as necessary, and communicating regularly with clients, claims adjusters, attorneys, and other stakeholders
- Collaborating with defense counsel, claims counsel, and litigation claims management for strategic planning, including developing and maintaining positive working relationships with approved defense firms and other vendors in the industry
- Reviewing legal documents and ensuring compliance with initial suit-handling plan of action
- Serving as corporate representative for discovery review and depositions, and appearing as Corporate Representative at depositions and trials when needed
- Analyzing policy language and reaching appropriate coverage decisions, drafting frequent and complex coverage correspondence, and proactively managing primarily litigated claim files from inception to closure
- Directing and controlling the activities and costs of numerous outside vendors including defense counsel and coverage counsel, experts and independent adjusters
- Maintaining adjuster licenses and continuing education requirements
- Bachelor's degree (lack of one should not stop you from applying if you possess all the other qualifications)
- 12+ years of claim handling experience, with 7+ of those years handling a pending of >60% in litigation
- You are not intimidated by an attorney, even if you are not one! You are the driver of the litigation strategy for any particular claim. You manage the discovery in the order and timing of events and hold attorney accountable
- Understand transportation coverages. Understand contractual risk transfer and additional insured forms
- You have strong medical knowledge
- You have a sense of urgency and understanding of how to manage time-sensitive demands
- Ability and willingness to communicate both on the phone and in written form in a prompt, courteous, and professional manner
- Strong analytical and negotiation skills. You will conduct your own negotiations directly with opposing counsel
- Knowledge of multiple state statutes, including good faith claim handling practices, regulations, and guidelines
- Ability to professionally collaborate with all stakeholders in a claim
- Have active adjuster license(s) and be willing to obtain all licenses within 45 days, including completing state required testing
- Attention to detail, time management, and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced, remote environment
- Curious and motivated by problem solving and questioning the status quo
- Desire to engage in learning opportunities and continuous professional development
- Willingness to travel for client and claims needs
- Generous health-insurance package with nationwide coverage, vision, & dental
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer matching
- Competitive PTO policy – we want our employees fresh, healthy, happy, and energized!
- Generous family leave policy
- Work from anywhere to facilitate your work life balance paired with frequent, regular corporate retreats to build team cohesion, reinforce culture, and have fun
- Your choice of Windows or Apple laptop, large second monitor, and other quality-of-life equipment you may want. Technology is something that should make your life easier, not harder!
Additionally, we will
- Provide a manageable pending for you to deliver the service in a way you’ve always wanted and a dedicated account
- Listen to your feedback to enhance and improve upon the long-standing challenges of an adjuster
- Work toward reducing and eliminating all the administrative work from an adjuster role
- Foster a culture of empathy, transparency, and empowerment in a remote-first environment
At Reserv, we value diversity and believe that a variety of perspectives leads to innovation and success. We are actively seeking candidates who will bring unique perspectives and experiences to our team. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and encourage those from underrepresented groups to apply. If you believe you are a good fit for this role, we would love to hear from you!