Controller, ASR Group
Accounting & Finance
Columbus, OH, USA
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2023
Note: Perpetua is part of Ascential's Digital Commerce’s brand portfolio. The Perpetua Talent Acquisition team is supporting Recruitment for this role. More info here.
The shift to digital commerce is only accelerating. Faster. We know that our customers – the world’s top consumer brands and their ecosystems – need the right information to help seize that opportunity. Our products and brands help our customers optimize their digital commerce, maximize marketing impact and create the right products.
With the continued growth and expansion of this business unit an exciting opportunity has developed for a Controller to manage the day-to-day accounting and shared service functions of ASR Group, one of our Digital Commerce brands.
We are looking for a hands-on, well-rounded accounting leader with SaaS or/and Digital Media experience and strong accounting skills that has both public and private company experience. This individual will be responsible for developing the accounting function within the brand to be both highly functional within an entrepreneurial environment and comply with the control and audit requirements of a public company. Responsible for month end close, reporting and integration into Ascential’s shared services and corporate ERP systems.
Given the nature of this role and our team, we are looking for someone to work out of our Columbus, OH office 4 days a week.
What You'll Do:
- Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, Sales Tax, A/P and GL Accounting
- Develop and enforce the accounting operations of ASR’s subsidiary entities, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Recognize, research and resolve reporting and general accounting issues, including but not limited to IFRS/GAAP reporting rules and regulation, revenue recognition, impairment analysis, equity compensation accounting, intangible cost capitalization (i.e. software, content) and lease accounting.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external and internal auditors for the annual audit
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Participate in the designing of accounting related system changes for new business models, new products, and revised program system requirements
- Review adjustments to customer billing and usage and approve transactions. Coach team on their work including process improvement and new business models.
- Perform/Review/Evaluate all balance sheet account reconciliations, investigating unusual or unexpected account balances, account relationships, and account flux explanations
- Ensure our processes are setup to capture and maintain a set of “audit proof” evidence that supports the delivery of each performance obligation
- Create and own documentation of processes and procedures
- Coach and mentor team members
Who You Are:
- You have a Bachelors' Degree in Accounting, with 6+ years of accounting experience with at least 2 of those years as an Assistant Controller or Controller.
- CPA or equivalent qualification with public accounting experience required
- Experience managing month-end/year end close process, intercompany accounting, deferred revenue, business taxes, software capitalization, sales tax, financial reporting
- Experience maintaining multiple ledgers
- Experience with SOX certification a plus
- Quickbooks and SAP experience is a must, and Hyperion or Anaplan skills are an asset
- Ability to manage multiple projects and handle multiple stakeholders simultaneously.
- You have experience a small team of Finance/Accounting professionals
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to translate analytical findings into actionable solutions and processes
- Flexible and willing to get your hands dirty, prior experience building a start-up finance function a plus
Working at ASR Group:
Our benefits package incorporates what we’re passionate about – unlocking your future, overall well-being and sustainability – whilst giving you control over your benefits.
🌴 3 Weeks PTO
🧠 Learning and Development Opportunities
👍 401K – Saving Incentive plan
💜 Generous Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance plans
🍼 Generous parental leave program
The Interview Process:
Every role starts the same, an introductory call with someone from our team. We will be looking for company and values-fit as well as your professional experience; there may be some technical role-specific questions during this call. Every role is different after the initial call, but you can expect to meet several people from the team 1:1. In your initial call, we will walk you through exactly what to expect the process to be.
Our goal is to create a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel comfortable in bringing their authentic selves to work. We want all Ascential people to feel included and truly empowered to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Everyone who applies will receive fair consideration for employment. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
If you have any accessibility requirements that would make you more comfortable during the application and interview process, please let us know so that we can support you.
Please note, We do not accept unsolicited resumes.