Autonomous Vehicle Test Operator (Temporary, 6-month role)
Brighton, CO, USA
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2024
Outrider is a software company that is automating distribution yards with electric, self-driving trucks. Our system eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive while it improves safety and efficiency. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation. We are a private company founded in 2018 and backed by NEA, 8VC, Koch Disruptive Technologies, and other top-tier investors. Our customers are Fortune 200 companies and our autonomous trucks are already running in distribution yards. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
The Autonomous Vehicle Test Operator reports to the Shift Manager and helps test, operate, maintain, and evaluate the Outrider System, a first-of-its-kind product designed to automate the world’s largest distribution yards. The Autonomous Vehicle Test Operator is primarily responsible for the safe operation of AVs - which may operate in manual, partial-automation or full-automation modes - and therefore is the authority on identifying and correcting potential safety risks during operation.
The Autonomous Vehicle Test Operator's responsibilities include monitoring the vehicle and driving environment; determining whether and how to return the vehicle to a minimum-risk condition; and intervening in automated driving tasks to resume manual or computer control for safety and performance assessment purposes.
This role is hands-on, requiring acute attentiveness to the vehicle system during operation, as well as constant observations of its performance both in the cab and via a software-based dispatching/monitoring tool. The successful candidate will enjoy a dynamic work environment, has strong focus and attention to detail, is comfortable making fast and sound decisions with a safety-first mindset.
This position plays an essential role in helping deliver a safety-critical system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers the successful candidate the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines robotics technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
1st Shift : Monday- Thursday, 5:00am - 3:30pm
Duties and Responsibilities
- Safely operate vehicles while in autonomous and/or manual mode
- Be a steward of the safety mindset: conduct daily on-site safety inspections of the trucks, equipment, and area, and proactively propose safety improvements
- Use keen judgment to determine appropriate on-the-spot responses to vehicle performance and safety issues
- Provide insightful and thorough verbal and/or written test reports on system performance - including vehicle and system data and/or observations related to automated driving system development - for Engineering, Vehicle Operations, Customer Success and Executive staff
- Perform preventative maintenance checks and services on autonomous vehicles, including, but not limited to, preparation, installation, and maintenance of vehicle hardware
- Assist commercial, operations, and engineering teams in root-cause analysis of issues found during operation
- Perform minor repairs under the direction of engineering staff and/or in accordance with OEM repair instructions
- Communicate issues and subjective performance to the AV Technicians, Test Operations Lead and peers on the Engineering teams
- Comply with established safety rules, policies and procedures, including wearing required safety equipment
- Be flexible around occasional travel to perform fieldwork, depending on customer locations and needs (up to 20%)
- Desire and ability to understand Outrider’s autonomous vehicle system and technology through the constant reading of documentation and Q&A with colleagues
- Ability to back a trailer into a dock door spot or parking spot.
- Clean driving record over the past 5 years
- Flexibility for day, night, and/or weekend work, as needed (and sometimes on short notice)
- Unwavering focus on safety and helping to explore and implement system improvements
- Ability to utilize laptop applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Contagious energy and positivity in relationships and interactions
- Experience moving trailers in commercial yards
- Experience over the road trucking
- CDL-A license
Compensation and Benefits
- Hourly Rate: $24/hr - $28/hr
- Actual compensation is based on several factors, including but not limited to job-related skills, qualifications, experience, and specific work location due to differences in the cost of labor.
At Outrider, we believe in cultivating an environment where there is diversity of perspectives, experiences, and knowledge with the expectation that we thrive in an inclusive environment. Outrider is committed to a workforce where everyone's opportunities are limitless regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any others that are protected by law.
To protect yourself against the increasing number of recruiting scams, please make sure that you are communicating with Outrider Technologies, Inc. or one of its employees. The only way to communicate with us is through our corporate website at www.outrider.ai, through corporate emails utilizing our domain name of @outrider.ai, and through our job board at jobs.lever.co/outrider. Be vigilant when checking domains because imitators often make very small changes to trick the eye. Additionally, please know that Outrider does not use text messaging or public messaging platforms, such as Telegram or Whatsapp, to communicate with candidates and Outrider will never ask an employment candidate for financial information or for payment of any kind.