Data Scientist II, Fraud, Waste & Abuse
Hi, we're Oscar. We're hiring a Data Scientist II, Fraud, Waste and Abuse to join our Data team.
Oscar is the first health insurance company built around a full stack technology platform and a focus on serving our members. We started Oscar in 2012 to create the kind of health insurance company we would want for ourselves—one that behaves like a doctor in the family.
As a Data Scientist II, Fraud, Waste & Abuse (FWA), you will partner closely with our Special Investigations Unit, our Cost Containment Operations team, and our Provider teams to produce data-driven leads for Fraud, Waste and Abuse investigations. You will work with operational teams to take action on these leads and will help track the performance of these investigations, informing future strategy and model refinements. There is opportunity for machine learning, but you will also be devoting substantial time to building out data models and dashboards that enable the business to leverage FWA data. You will work to reduce the 3-5% of national healthcare spend estimated to have been lost to fraud, waste, and abuse, reducing overall healthcare costs for Oscar and our members.
You will report into an Associate Director of Data Science.
Oscar is a blended work culture where everyone, regardless of work type or location, feels connected to their teammates, our culture and our mission.
This is a hybrid role in our Los Angeles (Marina del Rey) office. You will work part of the time in the office and part of the time remote / work-from-home. #LI-Hybrid
The base pay for this role is $131,200-$172,200 per year. You are also eligible for employee benefits, company equity grants, participation in Oscar's unlimited vacation program and annual performance bonuses.
You must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Oscar will not sponsor applicants for this role.
- Meet regularly with our Special Investigations Unit to stay informed of current needs and provide input into strategy discussions
- Own and maintain our existing FWA analytics pipeline, which includes both lead generation and performance tracking
- Partner with stakeholders to identify and implement new investigation targeting schemes
- Improve our existing lead generation by incorporating new sources of training data and new prediction models
- Improve the tracking of our performance by switching to more robust upstream data sources
- Build dashboards that communicate our performance, inform strategic decisions around FWA resourcing and planning, and enable self-service use of FWA data
- A master’s degree in a technical field and 2+ years experience OR a bachelor’s degree and 3+ years experience.
- Knowledge of standard machine learning methods
- Experience building data models
- Proficiency in SQL, R, and/or Python to query, manipulate and analyze data
- Experience deploying a machine learning model in production
- Experience building dashboards
- Experience in the healthcare, finance and/or insurance industries
This is an authentic Oscar Health job opportunity. Learn more about how you can safeguard yourself from recruitment fraud here.
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives..
Final offer amounts, within the base pay set forth above, are determined by factors including your relevant skills, education, and experience.
Full-time employees are eligible for benefits including: medical, dental, and vision benefits, 11 paid holidays, paid sick time, paid parental leave, 401(k) plan participation, life and disability insurance, and paid wellness time and reimbursements.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (accommod[email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.