Software Engineer, Data
We are on a mission to ensure that the financial system is routing money to the best ideas while helping people build and protect their long-term financial health. Our platform empowers financial advisors to learn about, build personalized strategies around, and invest in (previously inaccessible) private investments to help them grow their businesses and improve the outcomes of their clients.
The market for private investments is expected to grow by $2 trillion in the next decade, but remains largely inaccessible to the majority of non-institutional investors. Our platform provides exclusive educational content, personalized guidance, bespoke investment options, and a streamlined investment process to help make these investments more accessible than ever before.
Software Engineers at Opto Investments are tasked with the challenge of turning complex business problems into elegant and pragmatic engineering solutions. We are context-driven, customer- and stakeholder-empathetic builders of tools and systems. We are end-to-end owners of engineering problems and solutions who constantly challenge one another to evolve as builders and collaborators. Oh, and we have fun along the way, because otherwise, what's the point?
The Investment Analytics team partners with investment decision makers to distill complex financial data into creative workflows for analyzing private investments. Our mission requires a diverse range of expertise including frontend, backend, data, quantitative modeling, and financial analysis, so we are a multi-faceted team that is always looking to experiment and bring clarity to the previously opaque world of private investments.
Our tech stack consists of a series of React-based Next.js Typescript applications hosted in Vercel. Behind that a collection of Aurora-backed Python and Java REST API services are hosted as containerized applications in AWS. We make use of AWS Lambda for asynchronous tasks and we rely on Snowflake for data ingestion and warehousing. Our service deployments are completely automated and execute multiple times daily. Our tech stack continues to evolve, driven by our shared principles of optimizing for modularity, scalability, and team-level service ownership.
- Be accountable for the delivery of project work and coordination with teammates and stakeholders toward the delivery of projects on mutually agreed upon timelines
- Participate actively in all phases of product development across specification, implementation, testing, deployment, and operations
- Foster a culture of collaboration by actively engaging in discussions, documentation, and code review
- Participate actively in engineering recruiting (interviewing, problem specification, role ownership, etc)
- Raise your hand when you need help - don’t hesitate to reach out to stakeholders (product, teammates, managers, etc) to unblock your progress
- 4-year technical degree (or equivalent work experience)
- 2+ years software development experience
- Experience building, scaling, and maintaining a data warehouse and data pipelines
- Experience with data pipeline orchestration tools (Airflow, Prefect, Mage, DBT, etc.)
- Experience interfacing with financial data providers (Refinitiv, Burgiss, MSCI, etc.)
- Experience with domain and data modeling for investment vehicles
- Experience with the software development lifecycle (CI/CD, Git, etc)
- Experience with cloud computing architectures and tooling - particularly AWS
- Demonstrated background / interest in investment management
- Comfort with ambiguity and the ability to execute in a fast-paced startup environment
- Excellent communication skills and grace under pressure
Compensation and Benefits
Opto has a high bar for talent, and we are committed to building the best teams possible. Candidates are never subjected to discrimination based on race, citizenship, religion, ethnicity, gender or gender identity, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, sensory, mental, or physical disability, or any other characteristic.
The successful candidate for this role can expect a generous compensation and benefits package. The cash salary range for this role is $125,000-$225,000 dependent on skills, experience and expected contribution.
All full time employees at Opto enjoy:
- Significant equity
- Health, dental, and vision
- Unlimited PTO
- Retirement savings plan (401k)
- Learning, Fitness & WFH stipends
- Paid Holidays, Including closing the week in between December 25th and January 1st