Director of Sales
Sales & Business Development
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2023
OpenGov is home to an exceptional team - passionate about our mission to power more effective and accountable government. By bringing the OpenGov Cloud to our nation's state and local government, we’re transforming communities so they can thrive!
Imagine yourself being able to help small business owners open their doors faster, ensuring our tax dollars are accounted for, creating safer infrastructure, modernizing the permitting process, and assisting with disaster recovery. The work you do here every day has a meaningful impact on people's lives!
🌟 OpenGov is a 2023 Top Workplaces USA award winner and a Forbes America's Best Startup Employer. OpenGov is a high growth, late stage venture backed startup with investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective. Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world). 🌟
Join our smart, fun, and humble team to experience the most rewarding career of your life!
OpenGov is seeking an experienced Director of Sales to lead one of our regional Sales Teams with a focus on acquiring new customers and driving revenue growth. A successful Director of Sales is a self-starting closer who can help team members create a large pipeline of business within a short period of time. We look for business athletes who are aggressive team players - hungry, nimble and intelligent - with the ability and willingness to assist in closing a mix of complex enterprise and transactional deals.
We are building a world-class sales org that is changing the way governments do business. We are consistently achieving record growth and making an impact for our nation's governments. As a leader of one of our sales team you are tasked with recruiting, hiring, developing and leading our field sales executives that are helping OpenGov deliver on it's mission to power more effective and accountable government. In this role you will directly impact the growth of the team, drive our sales process and methodology and develop your people into the next sales stars here at OpenGov. OpenGov's team is seen as the market leader so we want the best of the best to help uphold that standard.
The ideal candidate has:
- You are a self-starter with a proven ability to grow and prove out a business
- You love working with clients, understanding their personalities and business needs, and delivering world-class programs to meet them
- You thrive when given the opportunity to grow business with a client, and can set and execute on a multi-year growth strategy with the client
- You have demonstrated the ability to manage and exceed expectations
- You function well in a fast-paced, informal environment where constant change is the norm and the bar for delivering results is set high
- You are able to bring the level of entrepreneurship, creativity, commitment, time, patience, and humor it takes to work with an evolving and growing organization
- Help Account Executives develop a territory strategy to drive revenue growth, business and partnership development, and community building
- Coach team to ensure they can serve as both "Hunter" and "Consultative Sales Professional" - often at the same time
- Hiring, supervising, continually developing & mentoring a premiere sales team to achieve success and meet the overall goals of the territory and company
- Help your team manage complex sales cycles and multiple engagements simultaneously, often being a part of the process from beginning to close
- Consistently forecast monthly and quarterly performance within a 10% margin of error from actual bookings
- Playing a hands-on role with the field sales organization, having a personal presence and high visibility in the field, and directly participate in customer sales cycles
- Apply the highest leverage activities to identify, negotiate contracts and drive major opportunities with support from the executive team
- Leveraging the sales framework to ensure we qualify, test and identify gaps in opportunities to drive “threads” in opportunities for improved pipeline and sales forecasting
- Becoming thoroughly familiar with the existing product/service line, the industry and the competition, in driving the growth of the business & delivering on customer engagement, sales and revenue goals
- Setting the “tone” for the company culture, fostering a success-oriented, accountability-based culture and ensuring the core values of OpenGov are put into practice
- Exemplifying the values of open communication, creativity and imagination to promote team spirit to solve problems and identify & capture new business opportunities
- Report on sales activities and forecasts to senior management
- Overachieve quota
- Minimum 8 years of direct sales experience, selling SaaS, B2B, enterprise software to VP, SVP, and C-Level Executives
- Previous track record of managing high growth sales teams (Hiring, Retaining, Mentoring etc)
- Experience working in high-growth and industry “disruptive” technology companies
- Proven track record meeting and exceeding revenue quota in a Field Sales role
- Detail oriented, strong relationship-building skills, and a focus on a high level of customer service
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including high caliber presentation skills
- Ability to work cross-culturally/cross-functionally
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Government Sales experience
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs, a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, and SF and Silicon Valley Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: Over $250 million, late stage venture backed startup, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, Cox Enterprises, and Emerson Collective.
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
» Growth: Record breaking growth with 1,800+ governments (and counting) using our products. Click here to read more.
» Culture: Winner of 2023 Top Workplaces USA award, Awarded Top 25 Cloud Companies to Work For, Winner of Forbes 2022 Best Startup Employers, 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
» Perks: 90% paid Medical/Dental/Vision premium for employees, fully paid Life and Short/Long term disability insurance, Unlimited PTO, Parental Leave policy, annual wellness stipend, anniversary awards, and more!
» Product: Named to the GovTech 100 (seven consecutive years), we are the leader in cloud software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies.
» Mission Driven: We are a technology company with a passion for the mission. We're powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!
OpenGov is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.