Source Term Engineer
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2023
Thanks for your interest in Oklo! We are searching for a Source Term Engineer or Specialist to join our team. Position DescriptionWe are seeking an experienced Source Term Engineer with a deep understanding of phenomena related to both metal-fueled and liquid-metal-cooled fast reactors, with a specific focus on pool scrubbing and aerosol mechanics. As a Source Term Engineer, you will play a crucial role in analyzing and developing methodologies for radiological source term ensuring the safe and efficient operation of our sodium fast reactor systems. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Conduct in-depth analyses of source term phenomena, including pool scrubbing and aerosol mechanics, within the context of fast reactors that are either metal-fueled or liquid-metal-cooled.
- Develop and implement computational models and simulations to evaluate migration of radionuclides to the environment.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, scientists, and researchers to optimize source term methodologies in support of NRC license applications.
- Propose and sponsor experiments to validate and improve source term models and simulations.
- Identify potential risks and challenges associated with source term phenomena and propose mitigation strategies.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements and research in the field of fast reactors and source term analysis.
- Provide technical expertise and support to internal stakeholders and external partners on source term-related matters.
- Passionate about clean energy
- Passionate about making advanced fission a reality
- Willing and able to learn quickly
- Eager to work on a dynamic team, receive constructive feedback, and grow with us
- Willing to think differently and do things in new ways
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, highly iterative startup environment
- Excited to think creatively, critically, and reflectively about the problems they are solving, while not leaning only on what has been done before
- Willing to propose novel and creative solutions to technical problems
- An excellent writer who can write in modern active voice, so make your cover letter compelling and write it well!
- Able to communicate technical content and results verbally
- A degree in Nuclear Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or a related field. Having a Master's or Ph.D. is highly desirable.
- Proven experience and expertise in source term phenomena related to fast reactors and metal fuel, with a specific emphasis on pool scrubbing and aerosol mechanics.
- Strong knowledge of nuclear reactor physics, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and computational modeling techniques.
- Proficiency in utilizing simulation tools such as RELAP, SAM, SAS4A/SASSYS-1, SRT, RADTRAD, ARCON, MACCS, or equivalent for source term analysis.
- Familiarity with relevant regulations pertaining to mechanistic source term analysis.
- Experience acting as a test sponsor for experimental research and analysis related to source term phenomena is desirable.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and critical-thinking skills.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks, and meet project deadlines.