Santa Clara, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2023
Thanks for your interest in Oklo! We are searching for a Neutronics Engineer to work with our engineering team and help us wrangle the neutrons. Position DescriptionThe Neutronics Engineer is responsible for responsible for performing reactor design calculations that include core design and fuel cycle analyses. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Perform the complete range of actions involved in core design and fuel cycle analysis using Monte Carlo and deterministic codes on Oklo reactors. These include core design, core sizing, core optimization, reactivity feedback, core lifetime, and criticality analyses, among others.
- Perform calculations and analyses in Monte Carlo based codes such as MCNP, Serpent, and OpenMC.
- Perform calculations and analyses with fast reactor deterministic codes such as DIF3D, PERSENT (familiarity with CASMO/SIMULATE is also beneficial).
- Be aware of and familiar with fast reactor core design and analysis work being performed internationally, as well as related benchmark calculations and experiments being performed internationally
- Provide technical feedback to quick-iterating design teams.
- Document work using modern tools and techniques, and write well-written, thoughtful technical reports.
- Passionate about clean energy
- Passionate about making advanced fission a reality
- Willing and able to learn quickly
- Knowledgeable about fast reactor design
- Highly skilled with Monte Carlo neutronics tools such as MCNP, SERPENT, and Open-MC
- Skilled with deterministic fast reactor tools, or wiling and eager to learn
- Eager to work on a dynamic team, receive constructive feedback, and grow with us
- Willing to think differently and do things in new ways
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, highly iterative startup environment
- Excited to think creatively, critically, and reflectively about the problems they are solving, while not leaning only on what has been done before
- Willing to propose novel and creative solutions to technical problems
- An excellent writer who can write in modern active voice, so make your cover letter compelling and write it well!
- Able to communicate technical content and results verbally
- If you have experience and expertise in reactor design, apply! We also think the following are good indicators of qualifications to do this job: Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in a technical field, such as nuclear engineering, with experience in reactor design and analysis (Masters or PhD may be preferable)
- Fluency with Python
- Experience with modern object oriented languages, preferably C++
- Proficiency with high performance computing systems
- Experience with fast reactor design and analysis is highly recommended
- Proficiency with MCNP and SERPENT is highly recommended
- Proficiency with Argonne's ARC codes (MC2, DIF3D, etc.) is recommended