Mycelium Tanning Chemist
We’re on a journey to Grow the Future of Materials. How? By unlocking the unique properties of mycelium, the root structure of mushrooms. Our patented technology, Fine Mycelium™, unleashes a new class of materials crafted from nature, engineered for performance, and built for a resilient future.We’re seeking passionate learners to join us in pioneering a materials revolution and creating an epic place to work. MycoWorks offers competitive equity and benefits programs to support the health, well-being, and financial empowerment of all our employees.We root our relationships with our partners and one another in our core values: Be Mycelial, Cultivate Quality, and Grow the Future, and we're committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender-expansive individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
MycoWorks is seeking a person to fill the role of Mycelium Tanning Chemist with a minimum of 5 years of industry expertise to join our team. The ideal candidate should possess an in-depth understanding of traditional leather tanning processes, chemistry, and quality control. In this role, you will be responsible for developing, optimizing, and implementing new tanning processes applicable to the Fine Mycelium technology to meet performance requirements. Collaborating with cross-functional teams, you will contribute your technical knowledge to enhance product performance, innovation, and sustainability.
This role will work closely with the product development team and receive support from upstream tech development and top finishing teams in the design and execution of experiments. The role reports to the Director of Product Development.
- Lead the development, improvement, and optimization of wet-end processes to achieve consistent and high-quality products.
- Utilize your comprehensive understanding of chemistry and tanning techniques to troubleshoot and resolve technical challenges.
- Define and monitor key process parameters to ensure the desired performance and quality attributes provided by the product manager.
- Collaborate with suppliers to source and evaluate raw materials for tanning, ensuring they meet quality and sustainability standards.
- Conduct research to innovate and introduce environmentally friendly and sustainable tanning methods.
- Perform rigorous testing and analysis of leather samples to ensure they meet industry and internal specifications.
- Collaborate with the design and product development teams to provide technical insights on Reishi characteristics and possibilities.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, regulations, and emerging technologies related to wet-end chemistry.
- Execute technology transfer to internal and external partners as needed providing guidance on best practices, techniques, and safety protocols.
- Maintain accurate documentation of processes, research findings, and quality control measures.
- Participate in cross-functional meetings to contribute to product development strategies and initiatives.
- Bachelor's, Master's, or Ph.D. degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in leather tanning, with a strong background in tanning chemistry and process optimization.
- Proven expertise in selecting appropriate tanning agents, chemicals, and additives for desired leather properties.
- Knowledge of quality control procedures and testing methodologies specific to leather products.
- Familiarity with environmental and sustainability considerations in leather tanning processes.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze complex issues related to leather quality and production.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills for effective collaboration and technical reporting.
- Proficient in using laboratory equipment and software relevant to leather testing and analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects, manage priorities, and meet deadlines effectively
- Bilingual in English and Spanish. French is a plus.
- Experience working in cross functional teams
- Proficiency in Google Drive
- Ability to operate with incomplete information and implicit instruction
MycoWorks offers world class benefits and compensation programs to support the health, well-being and financial empowerment of our employees. Our benefits include:
- Medical, Vision and Dental plans at no cost to employees
- Optional insurance coverage for partners and dependents
- FSA Accounts
- Free Personal Health Advocate
- Generous PTO policy
- Paid parental leave
- Paid holidays beyond the traditional
- 401(k) program
MycoWorks may contact you via text message regarding your application for this or similar opportunities. You can always text STOP to opt out.