Associate General Counsel
We're Karat, the world's largest interviewing company.
Karat helps companies hire top engineering talent with confidence. As an end-to-end hiring solution, we work with organizations to improve the quality, efficiency, and equity of their technical hiring process. Global leaders like Walmart, Atlassian, and Citi rely on Karat to conduct hundreds of assessments and interviews every day through a powerful combination of human expertise and innovative technology. Our mission is to make every interview predictive, fair and enjoyable so we can unlock opportunity -- for everyone. We’re a passionate, focused, human-centric team, and we want you to join us!
Come join our Legal team
Our Legal team is committed to helping Karat scale in a way that adds value to our customers, candidates and colleagues while protecting Karat’s most valuable assets.
What you will do
Karat is seeking a proactive and pragmatic Associate General Counsel responsible for identifying and executing on strategic cross-functional initiatives that enhance Karat’s long-term enterprise value. Reporting directly to the Company’s General Counsel, you will be the fourth member of a legal team that prides itself on being business-minded, responsive, and supportive of one another (no one is too important to pitch in and help another teammate!).
This role will have significant autonomy to partner with leaders across Karat’s functional teams and to design solutions to novel legal and strategic challenges as our business scales. Areas of focus will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Data Privacy, Rights and Product Advising
- Partner with product and engineering team to ensure Karat’s practices around personal data collection and processing comply with GDPR, CCPA and other privacy laws
- Update and negotiate key privacy documentation (such as DPAs, privacy notices, our data retention policy) to stay current with operational practices and smooth commercial transactions
- Serve as primary point of contact for the information security team as Karat moves towards an enhanced security posture and completes recurring certifications
- Regulatory and AI Advising
- Serve as an internal subject matter expert on the regulation of the use of AI in employment tools, coordinating with product team on technology adoption as well as with marketing on appropriate external messaging
- Commercial Contract Drafting and Negotiation
- Draft new legal language to govern the use of Karat’s expanding product line
- Negotiate new GTM partnerships such as reseller and referral arrangements
- Business Development Support
- Preview risks/requirements to Karat’s international expansion and creation of legal entities outside the US, as needed
- Provide M&A transactional support and conduct legal due diligence of acquisition targets, as needed
The experience you will bring
- 8+ years of top-tier law firm and in-house experience
- JD required; bar admission and in good standing in at least one state.
- Experience working for high-growth, venture-backed technology companies in the B2B/SaaS space preferred
- Demonstrated success as a legal-business leader with the ability to balance legal risk mitigation against key business objectives
- Excellent communication, organizational, analytical, and interpersonal skills, especially in a remote-first environment
- Experience with data privacy law, negotiating customer-facing DPAs and other privacy documentation and experience advising product teams on feature development to drive privacy compliance and sound data governance practices
- Experience negotiating SaaS contracts (including related privacy agreements), as well as reseller/referral agreements
This is a salaried, exempt position. Immigration sponsorship is not available.
Learn more about us
Statement of Inclusivity:
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Karat.
We value a diverse workforce: people of color, womxn, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.