Senior Structural Engineer I
ICON is seeking a highly motivated and dedicated Senior Structural Engineer to play a key role in assisting the structural design development of ICON’s 3D printed wall system. This position will work as a member of the Architecture and Building Performance Department and will support ICON Structural Initiatives for many different projects. This role will report to the VP of Building Design & Performance and is based out of our Austin, TX campus.
- Assist in the structural design development of ICON’s Concrete 3D-Printed (C3DP) wall system for various projects throughout the United States.
- Structural calculations for enclosure and wall system design in coordination with other ICON departments.
- Conduct structural performance evaluation and diagnostics for design development, certification, and testing.
- Propose structural designs for optimal performance by utilizing novel software and computational methodologies.
- Assist and lead in the evaluation of ICON’s structural building systems for compliance with building codes, standards and performance criteria.
- Provide input on foundation systems for a variety of conditions while incorporating requirements from construction and hardware teams.
- Perform field testing and building inspections of new and existing projects.
- Participate in site observations and test preparation with project team and partners.
- Prepare and submit engineering reports for assigned projects and tasks.
- Review architectural and structural drawings prepared by ICON and 3rd party consultants for conformance with ICON
- standards and details.
- Review shop drawings and submittals from 3rd party contractors for conformance with ICON standards and details.
- In and out of state overnight travel, as required for assigned projects and tasks (typically no more than 1 - 2 nights).
- 8+ years of relevant work experience.
- Bachelors Degree in Civil / Structural Engineering or related discipline.
- PE license required.
- Experience in concrete structural design.
- Experience with vertical structural design.
- Experience with structural analysis and computer-aided design tools.
- Experience with ACI, ASCE, AND TMS design codes.
- Knowledge of AutoCad, and Revit.
- Knowledge of design from first principles.
- Excellent communication skills, and fluency in spoken and written English.
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to meet critical deadlines.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Able to read and understand building envelope drawings including wall cladding systems, curtain wall, window and door systems, waterproofing, and roofing.
- Working knowledge of test methods and standards associated with testing of structural systems required for code compliance.
- Ability to read and understand architectural drawings and specifications.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate degree in structural engineering.
- 2+ years of professional experience working on complex, concrete structural projects within a design-build environment.
- Experience and familiarity with sustainability aspects of structural material systems (e.g. carbon content, and life cycle assessment).
- Expertise in computational design software and programming preferred.
- Experience in computational mechanics and/or numerical programming.
Furthermore, as a federal government contractor, the Company maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations, including Executive Order 11246, Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (as amended).
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit candidates through this application. ICON does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency submissions for candidates and will not pay fees to any third-party agency without a prior agreement with ICON.
As part of our compliance with these obligations, the Company invites you to voluntarily self-identify as set forth below. Provision of such information is entirely voluntary and a decision to provide or not provide such information will not have any effect on your employment or subject you to any adverse treatment. Any and all information provided will be considered confidential, will be kept separate from your application and/or personnel file, and will only be used in accordance with applicable laws, orders and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement purposes.