Rural Health Research Intern
About Hopscotch Health
At Hopscotch Health, we believe great healthcare should be accessible to all people across all communities. Today, almost 20% of Americans live in a rural community, yet only 11% of physicians practice in those same communities. We are on a mission to transform healthcare in rural America. We provide high-quality primary care tailored to meet the needs of our patients through our robust care model and comprehensive care team, delivering care in our clinics, and across settings, and wrapping resources around the patients who need them most.
Our patients and the care teams who serve them sit at the center of everything we do at Hopscotch. Hopscotch Health takes a team approach to serve patient needs and provide the best care possible. Our goal is to provide the care each of us would want for ourselves or for our family members, in the right setting, and at the right time.
Today, we are serving thousands of patients in our value-based care model and the number is growing every day. If you want to bring your experience, skill and passion to make a lasting impact in healthcare, we’d like to meet you.
About the Role
We are seeking a Rural Health Research Intern to conduct primary research about the challenges of delivering primary care in rural and underserved communities of Western North Carolina. This person will work closely with our Strategy & Growth team to synthesize key insights and connect them to Hopscotch’s strategy and care model.
Specific responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Partner with Hopscotch to develop research study hypotheses based on Hopscotch learnings to date and existing literature around the challenges of delivery of primary care in rural settings.
- Help develop an interview guide to guide conversations with study participants, which includes providers, care team members, and clinic administrative staff.
- Outreach and interview selected study participants to understand what the underlying drivers of their challenges are to serving their patients and operating an independent primary care practice.
- Document key themes and insights based on synthesis of interviews.
- Develop specific and actionable recommendations for how Hopscotch and other healthcare stakeholders can address these challenges.
- Create a research study briefing that documents background, objectives, results, and conclusions for the research study.
- Build connections and foster relationships between Hopscotch stakeholders and study participants that are interested in partnering with Hopscotch.
We are looking for a current or incoming medical school student who has an interest in pursuing primary care or practicing in rural and underserved communities.
Additional skills and capabilities required:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written
- High emotional intelligence and strong collaboration skills working with diverse groups
- High attention to detail, organization, coordination and planning skills
- Solid problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- A proven ability to learn complex topics quickly and put knowledge into action
From a cultural perspective, you are:
- Committed to excellence and bring a growth mindset to everything you do
- Patient- and mission-focused, with a passion for healthcare and service to the providers who deliver healthcare
- Agile, yet thoughtful and can work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Constantly seeking ways to simplify and improve how things are done, bringing a positive attitude to challenges
- Team-first and lead with humility, setting the tone for others to do the same
- Accountable, holding yourself and others to a high standard and seek to support and develop others
- Willing to roll up your sleeves, bringing a high work ethic and strong collaboration skills to work effectively with people of all backgrounds
- Concise and articulate, drive towards clarity and deliver on your commitments
At Hopscotch Health, we embrace diversity, invest in a culture of inclusion and positivity and encourage all to apply to join our team. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Something looks off?