Head of Product, Embedded Payroll
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 300,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
Gusto Embedded Payroll is our newest business unit, driving the next arc of innovation and growth for Gusto. Our mission is to enable any third party SMB platform to build, sell, and serve payroll, however, they wish. Our API offering allows other companies to offer payroll services to their customers inside their app or service. By creating a more seamless payroll experience for SMBs, we will bring Gusto’s platform to hundreds of thousands more businesses than those we serve directly. Learn more about our partnerships with Chase and Freshbooks, and what we have learned since we started.
As the Head of Product for Embedded Payroll, you will set the vision, multi-year strategy, and roadmap for our embedded product, which consists of APIs, SDKs, components, and other white-label features and portals for our partners. You will also manage a team of Product Managers as a player and coach, while working with a talented team of Engineers, Designers, and Solutions Architects. This is an opportunity to join a team from the ground up and take our business growth to the next level by unlocking product differentiators beyond payroll into HR, benefits, and other people platform features. This role will report into the GM for Gusto Embedd
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Set multi-year vision and strategy for Gusto Embedded products, payroll and beyond
- Work with developer teams at our partners to develop a deep understanding of their needs and how to enable them to bring payroll to market as quickly as possible
- Partner with internal teams such as Engineering, Design, and Data to execute the roadmap and ship critical features
- Partner with Sales, Technical Solutions, Partner Growth, and CX business leaders across Gusto Embedded to drive the overall strategy and success of the Embedded business
- Identify emerging technologies and industry trends, especially related to developer products (APIs, SDKs, etc.) to push our product experience to the next level
- Develop a framework and set of metrics to measure the impact you deliver to the business
- Execute hypothesis-driven product experiments, iterate, and ship to customers frequently
- Empower a team of Gusto Embedded product managers
Here’s what we're looking for:
- 10+ years of hands-on product management experience, with strong track record of building API-first technical products for developers
- 4+ years of experience managing a team of IC product managers
- Experience building enterprise SaaS products, especially those that have complex implementations
- Experience interacting with external Product & Engineering Executives at enterprise firms, both on the pre-sales and post-sales side
- Expertise and passion for working cross-functionally and influencing platform teams within larger orgs
- Experience scaling a product that has achieved early product market fit and taking it into the 1->10 stage (past the 0->1 stage)
Our cash compensation range for this role is $212,000 to $247,000 in Denver & most remote locations, and $250,000 to $290,000 in San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate location, experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Gusto has physical office spaces in Denver, San Francisco, and New York City. Employees who are based in those locations will be expected to work from the office on designated days approximately 2-3 days per week (or more depending on role). The same office expectations apply to all Symmetry roles, Gusto's subsidiary, whose physical office is in Scottsdale.
Note: The San Francisco office expectations encompass both the San Francisco and San Jose metro areas.
When approved to work from a location other than a Gusto office, a secure, reliable, and consistent internet connection is required.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you require assistance in filling out a Gusto job application, please reach out to [email protected].