VP of Engineering
VP OF ENGINEERING
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As the VP of Engineering at Freeform, you will be responsible for growing, developing, and leading our highly experienced engineering teams, ensuring our pace of development and innovation is maximized, and driving seamless integration activities across mechanical, electrical, and software disciplines. We are looking for someone with a strong hands-on technical background who has successfully led complex development initiatives in technologically innovative environments such as machines, robotics, autonomous vehicles, rockets, and/or industrial automation. You will need to be capable of working hand-in-hand with the C-suite to establish and execute on company-level technical and business objectives, acting as a technical systems architect, driving daily engineering progress, and providing technical guidance to individual engineers to help solve difficult problems. This is an extremely high impact opportunity to join a well-funded startup with a world-changing vision where you'll play a critical role in the success of the company.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Provide technical guidance and leadership to a highly experienced engineering team in order to maximize the pace of innovation and development.
- Serve as an extension of the C-suite in making critical engineering and business decisions.
- Act as a systems architect, providing input on machine system architectures as well as specific system and subsystem designs.
- Drive first-principles thinking across the engineering organization; challenge assumptions and ensure that engineering decisions have been properly analyzed/evaluated.
- Oversee system level design, development, integration, and validation of design efforts.
- Provide technical program management from conception to deployment.
- Interface with customers, investors, and advisors on key technical/business discussions.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer science, physics, or similar technical discipline.
- 15+ years of experience architecting, designing, developing, and integrating complex systems.
- Formal leadership experience overseeing a team of engineers.
- Successful track record of leading hardware development programs in a technologically innovative environment.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Advanced degree (Master's, PhD) in engineering, mechatronics, robotics, or other relevant engineering field.
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Experience with industrial automation, robotics, and/or autonomous vehicles.
- Experience building a company from early to advanced stages.
- Knowledge of metal additive manufacturing processes and related electrical/software development requirements.
- Understanding of metallurgy, non-destructive evaluation, and dimensional inspection methods for additively made hardware.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of Los Angeles' vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth startups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As an early-stage startup, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $150,000-$300,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Something looks off?