Head of Embedded Software
Head of Embedded Software
Freeform is deploying software-defined, autonomous metal 3D printing factories around the world, bringing the scalability of software to physical production. Our proprietary technology stack leverages advanced sensing, real-time controls, and data-driven learning to produce digitally-verified, flawless parts at unprecedented speed and cost. Our mission is to make the transformative power of 3D printing available to all industries at scale and unlock the future of innovation.
As the Head of Embedded Software, you will be responsible for leading development efforts across our embedded ecosystem including embedded Linux, heterogeneous computing, and sensor fusion with the goal of scaling fully automated metal printing factories with advanced telemetry systems. We are looking for someone who can work cross functionally with electrical and mechanical engineering disciplines, and must understand how to architect software to bring hardware to life. All leadership roles at Freeform are technical in nature so in addition to being a leader you will also be expected to spend a significant portion of your time working alongside the team as a technical contributor architecting, developing, and implementing solutions.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Provide architectural leadership for the development of a complex, highly integrated embedded system.
- Serve as the primary technical architect for all software elements in the system as well as lead design, implementation, and testing efforts as an individual contributor where appropriate.
- Lead system level integration and validation of design efforts.
- Provide technical project management from conception to production when required by the size/scope of the project.
- Facilitate effective communication and collaboration with the broader engineering team by working side-by-side with the Electrical, Mechanical, and Process engineering teams.
- 10+ years of hands-on experience architecting, developing, and implementing complex embedded software systems using C/C++/Rust
- Experience working in a high performance compute environment (FPGAs or GPUs)
- Experience in real-time embedded system design with Linux OS
Nice to Have:
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- Formal personnel leadership experience.
- Experience with high speed data acquisition and real time closed-loop-control systems.
- Experience writing software for industrial automation systems, robotics, or related hardware.
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems.
What We Offer:
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a unique opportunity to be an early and integral member of a rapidly growing company that is scaling a world-changing technology.
- Significant stock option packages
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (premium PPO and HMO options)
- Life insurance
- Traditional and Roth 401(k)
- Relocation assistance provided
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and company holidays
- Generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for the birthing parent
- Free daily catered lunch and dinner, and fully stocked kitchenette
- Casual dress, flexible work hours, and regular catered team building events
- As a growing company, the salary range is intentionally wide as we determine the most appropriate package for each individual taking into consideration years of experience, educational background, and unique skills and abilities as demonstrated throughout the interview process. Our intent is to offer a salary that is commensurate for the company’s current stage of development and allows the employee to grow and develop within a role.
- In addition to the significant stock option package, the estimated salary range for this role is $150,000-$300,000, inclusive of all levels/seniority within this discipline.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.