Senior Scientific Solutions Engineer
United States · Remote
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2023
About the Opportunity
We are seeking a Senior Scientific Solutions Engineer with a focus on software engineering and imaging workflow to join our passionate team of engineers and scientists at Flywheel Exchange. At Flywheel, we’re creating a world-class data sharing and distributed computing platform serving biomedical imaging and life sciences research. The Scientific Solutions Engineering (SSE) team expands and supports Flywheel Gears. Gears are open-sourced, packaged scientific algorithms which enhance the core Flywheel framework to extend and customize applications for customer’s needs. Senior SSEs build and maintain Flywheel gears, contribute to various aspects of the Flywheel platform, and leverage a variety of custom-built tools to solve complex problems faced by our community of users, all while adhering to a high-standard of quality and reproducibility.
The SSE team has high-visibility with a central purpose: To make a positive contribution to the biomedical and life sciences communities we serve. Qualified candidates will have at least 5 years of experience being the “Technical Integrator” for multiple academic or commercial research projects, connecting users, data, new or existing algorithms, and results into a reproducible system.
Join us as we develop best practices for collaborative processes between engineers, the technical operations team, R&D, the SSE team, and the customers. Team members are recognized and rewarded when advocating for customer success, scientific rigor, and reproducible methods above other concerns. We value self-motivated, creative individuals who work well in a collaborative environment – constantly generating and sharing new ideas and innovative solutions with the team.
Our team is made up of people who code, many of which have PhDs.
Flywheel has a comprehensive benefits package and encourages a balanced work life and home life.
- Aid customers in creating Gears and analysis pipelines to achieve their research project objectives, including rewriting or adapting existing code and conversion of scripts into Python.
- Promote "best practices" for Gear development and product usage through documentation, blog posts, ad-hoc training.
- Develop methods for migrating historical data from file systems and other scientific data management systems.
- Serve as advisor to the product management team for overall product experience and to key stakeholders for expanding data types supported on Flywheel.
- Read customer-written code and applications, translate , and integrate into Flywheel's platform.
- Work independently with a remote team.
What would make you a great fit
- 5 years of software development experience with Python (required), and Docker
- 3 years of experience in writing high-quality, maintainable code, with a forward-thinking approach to long-term planning and roadmapping for software solutions
- 3 years of experience working with APIs and diverse data sources
- 5 years of experience in scientific or imaging research workflows, analysis pipelines, or platforms, including domain specific tooling for at least one of the following modalities: MR (e.g. FreeSurfer, FSL, AFNI, SPM, ANTs), MEG/EEG (e.g. MNE), OCT (e.g. PyOCT), Genomics (e.g. synapse, Seven Bridges), or Digital Pathology (e.g. Halo)
- Experience integrating systems related to data acquisition and data analysis for users in multiple groups/disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities while being responsive to stakeholders’ needs
Do you feel like you don't have everything that's listed above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Flywheel is the leading research data platform that's transforming the way biomedical and imaging data are managed at leading life sciences, clinical, and academic institutions globally.
Flywheel provides a comprehensive research data solution with all the tools needed for curation, imaging processing, machine learning workflows, and secure collaboration. By leveraging cloud scalability and automating research workflows, Flywheel helps organizations scale research data and analysis, improve scientific collaboration, and accelerate discoveries.
GO STEADY WITH LEVITY
The alchemy of effective teamwork happens when we each take ownership of both the menial and the magical every day. We’re serious, but never stuffy. We keep our cool under pressure because we assume best intentions and maintain perspective. This allows for true teamwork, with a dash of irreverence.
WORK BETTER TOGETHER
We are tenacious and united in our pursuit of solving our customers’ biggest challenges, and no challenge is too big. Diverse backgrounds across our team make us more effective as we listen, absorb, collaborate, and iterate to innovate.
FIGURE IT OUT
We’re obsessed with uncovering the why of any given. Having an open mind allows us to be quick to fail and quick to adapt. We relentlessly pursue continual improvement through learning and imagining new possibilities.
GIVE A SHIT
We’re fueled by grit, boundless energy, and a deep belief that we are doing cool shit. We don’t hesitate to stand up and speak out because we trust that through tough, honest discourse we can drive change and make a real difference for our customers and our mission.
See more open positions at Flywheel
Something looks off?