Engineering Manager, Trade Management Application
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of fixing the user experience in global trade. At Flexport, you’ll develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry.
The Forwarding Platform engineering group is responsible for building the mode-agnostic foundational system that integrates the demand and supply functions of freight movement. This foundational system coordinates the execution of the end-to-end plan across different modes such as Air, Ocean, Trucking, and warehouse. We work closely with our product, business, and data teams to solve complex coordination to make sure we can fulfill the promised transit time.
- Develop the technical roadmap for the team by collaborating with other cross-functional team members, including product management, UX design and research
- Manage execution of initiatives, define success metrics, and improve processes to help achieve better outcomes
- Promote growth opportunities for engineers and provide mentorship
- Gain a deep understanding of the fascinating logistics industry
What you’ll build:
You will work on projects in the following areas:
- Execution Coordinator: The primary complexity in freight forwarding is the coordination across multiple modes of freight forwarding and tracking shipment events. The Execution Coordinator is a core foundational system that serves as the entry point for the supply side of freight forwarding applications. This system is responsible for tracking, validating, and storing shipment events through the lifecycle of shipment.
- Shipment Schedules: Our goal is to build a system of systems to store, build, update, and maintain transit/dwell times at each phase of the shipment lifecycle (quoting to execution). Schedules will be built for every Flexport shipment, regardless of transportation mode, geography, or business relationship.
You should have:
- At least 8 years of experience developing software (including management).
- Experience hiring and building diverse and inclusive teams.
- Experience setting technical vision and roadmap for a team.
- Track record of ideating, planning, executing and reflecting on multi-month initiatives.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- A "compliance first" attitude to keep our regulators happy and enthusiastic about Flexport since we operate in a heavily regulated industry.
- Experience managing full-stack application teams.
- Experience working in a cross-functional team with product, design, and data.
- Experience developing distributed systems.
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and GitHub. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling a monolithic Rails app into a service-oriented architecture including Ruby, Python, Java and Kotlin services. Our data is persisted in Postgres and MongoDB. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker, migrating to Kubernetes.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile.
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward.
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Something looks off?