Principal Mechanical Engineer
Epirus is a high-growth technology company developing solid-state, software-defined directed energy systems that enable unprecedented counter-electronics effects and power management solutions to optimize power efficiency in defense and commercial applications. With a constant emphasis on innovation, we are redefining the future of power to bring tomorrow’s capabilities to life, today. And that’s just the beginning.
Job Summary: This is an exciting role in an innovative company. In this role, you will own the design of electromechanical assemblies, mechanisms, and large structures through their full lifecycle. Successful candidates will apply their creativity and deep engineering knowledge to the challenging electromechanical and thermal problems that arise as we continue to push the edges of HPM technology. The ideal candidate has experience leading teams designing, building, and testing phased array products and packaging radio frequency (RF) electronic assemblies. Successful candidates will have experience designing and testing systems to pass rigorous qualification environmental requirements. The ideal candidate will have followed their designs through its complete lifecycle, from conceptualization through test and fielding.
- Design and build structures for mounting RF phased arrays and other electronic packages
- Design kinematic mechanisms for precision pointing of phased arrays and electronic subsystems
- Design electronics enclosures and packaging accounting for environmental requirements including shock, vibe, and EMI
- Provide mentoring and serve as mechanical design lead on product design teams
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team to develop requirements, design, and build electromechanical systems
- Design harnesses, cables, and interconnects for large electronics assemblies and vehicle mounted arrays
- Perform thermal and structural analyses to validate designs
- Create CAD models and detailed manufacturing drawings
- Collaborate with vendors and manufacturing team to build and manufacture products and ensure quality
- Undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or equivalent
- 8+ years of relevant experience including experience across full product lifecycle.
- Demonstrated ability to own the design, build, and test of complex mechanical assemblies in a highly collaborative interdisciplinary team.
- Experience with CAD and practical application of GD&T.
- Experience with environmental testing and qualification.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with RF/Phased array mechanical design, electronics packaging, or large vehicle mounted systems, especially in an aerospace or defense environment
- Experience designing and integrating electric actuation systems
- Experience designing harnesses or cables for complex electronic systems
- Demonstrated comfort with hands-on build and test of mechanical systems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Collaborative; capable of working across all levels of the organization and in multidisciplinary design teams
- Organized; comfortable working in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
People are the most important part of Epirus – and always come first. We don’t believe in the word impossible and are always asking “why not” as work to usher in a new paradigm of power efficiency. Our fast-growing team is agile, creative, and innovative. We support a culture of constant learning and sense of belonging among our team members and know that mentorship matters. We embrace diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and beyond. To deliver on our mission, we are always looking for problem solvers, changemakers and innovators to join our fast-growing team.