Senior Data Analyst
IT, Data Science
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Empassion is a Management Services Organization (MSO) focused on improving the quality of care and costs for a highly neglected “Advanced illness/ end of life” patient population. Four percent of the Medicare population but 25 percent of its costs. The impact is driven deeper with families who are left with minimal options and decreased time with their loved ones. Empassion is enabling increased access and alignment while delivering superior outcomes for patients, their communities, the healthcare system, families, and society.
What your experience will be:
The Data & Analytics team is a rapidly growing, high-impact, high-visibility team that works cross-functionally with the entire organization. We are creating a robust, flexible, and modern analytics platform that is core to delivering the company’s technology and service capabilities. The Senior Data Analyst will report directly to the VP of Data & Analytics, a healthcare data practitioner with a decade of experience in early-stage healthcare startups. You will work alongside other Analytics Engineers, Data Analysts, and Medical Economists building out and maintaining robust data pipelines and analytics solutions to better understand our patient population using a combination of SQL, dbt, and Looker. You will partner closely with our Clinical, Finance, and Operations teams to deliver explanatory and actionable insights as we work to improve the care our patients receive.
How work affects my life:
Competitive compensation with a simple and clear compensation philosophy
Coworkers who are best-in-class clinicians, operators, and technologists
Opportunities to grow your skill set and a preference for internal promotions
A role where you can finish challenging days knowing you’re making a difference working on a truly important problem
At Empassion, you will learn to focus on a later stage of life. You will build an understanding and worth for what the end-of-life experience means. While challenging, it's humbling and centering. Your time will be dedicated to helping people have more good days. This transcends to a more profound value of your present life and how you choose to spend your days
Why you belong here and how you will grow:
This is an opportunity to support the buildout of Empassion’s analytics platform and to be part of a passionate, skilled, and committed team working together to realize our essential vision. We pride ourselves on providing accurate, timely, and actionable data to our downstream users. We hold ourselves to a high standard that respects the impact our data and analytics can have on a patient’s course of care.
The Data & Analytics team is composed of specialists who can flex across different types of work as needed. The Senior Data Analyst will be designing and implementing analytics models, reports, and dashboards to enable and empower Empassion employees and our customers to better understand their patients.
We are a remote company, fully distributed across the United States. We prioritize asynchronous work and communication but are quick to get on a call, Zoom, or even flight if the situation requires higher fidelity discussion. We are dedicated to cultivating relationships built for trust and meaningful experiences that promote your growth. We recognize the value of autonomy, flexibility, and ownership while not losing sight of the importance of real-life experiences. We do not accept anything less than respectful, supportive, and growth-oriented teammates.
We are dedicated to cultivating relationships built for trust and meaningful experiences that promote your growth. We recognize the value of autonomy, flexibility, and ownership while keeping sight of the importance of real-life experiences. We do not accept anything less than respectful, supportive, and growth-oriented teammates.
What success looks like
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand business requirements and report on data from various sources, ensuring data quality, consistency, and accuracy.
- Calculate traditional (PMPM costs, utilization, etc.) and novel (program engagement, capitation rates, etc.) healthcare metrics from claims and product data.
- Help to validate regular claims and eligibility data refreshes.
- Act as a healthcare data SME on a rapidly growing Data & Analytics team.
- Design, develop, and maintain algorithms and data models, using SQL and dbt.
- Create visually appealing and informative visualizations and dashboards to communicate data insights and enable data-driven decision-making to stakeholders, using Looker.
- Create documentation and training materials for technical and non-technical users of our data products
What you will bring
- 4+ years of experience in healthcare analytics, analytics engineering, or medical economics, having delivered actionable insights from big data analytics environments to Clinical, Operations, or Finance teams
- Deep familiarity with healthcare claims and eligibility data
- Strong SQL skills
- Excellent communication abilities around highly technical data topics and the ability to work with a diverse set of technical and non-technical audiences (peers, engineers, operations, external customers)
- Proficiency with BI/reporting tools (Looker, Tableau, etc.)
- Excitement about working in a fast-moving startup environment
- A bias for action and enthusiasm for fast iteration
- Proficiency with dbt and templated SQL
- Familiarity with clinical healthcare data sources and standards (ADT, EHR, Labs, FHIR, USCDI, etc.)
- Experience with statistical analysis software (Python/pandas, R, etc.)
Nice to have:
Remote vs. In person
Though Empassion is a fully remote company, we do have programming and events which require us to be in person, including team and company-wide meetings.
Empassion will never ask for bank information (e.g. account and routing number), social security numbers, passwords, or other sensitive information to be delivered via email. If you receive a scam email or wish to report a security issue involving Empassion, please notify us at: email@example.com
We want you to know: You can be a great candidate even if you don't fit everything we've described above. You can also have important skills we haven't thought of. If that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself (especially in your cover letter- this is where you can really state your case for *why you*). We are committed to fostering diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We're taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a policy of Empassion not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination.
See more open positions at empassion.com
Something looks off?