Staff Scientist / Project Lead - Molecular Biology
Elegen is blazing a path towards a biology-based economy with a highly innovative approach to DNA synthesis that delivers an industry leading length of 7kb in 7 business days with a 99.999% per base accuracy. Our multidisciplinary team of best-in-class biologists, chemists, hardware, and software engineers apply cutting-edge technologies and methods to solve critical bottlenecks in synthetic biology workflows to help our customers in pharma, biotech, agbio, and biomanufacturing streamline their work and realize the full potential of programmable biology.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company at an early stage and to have an impact on the development of its products, markets, processes, people, and culture.
We are seeking a senior level scientist experienced in leading the development of molecular biology products for life sciences. The project leader will lead and coordinate the efforts of the technical and commercial teams to deliver DNA synthesis platforms.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a senior scientist to develop impactful products at a uniquely innovative, rapidly moving, high-impact start-up. In addition to developing leading-edge synthetic DNA products, you will help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
- Lead the development of high throughput DNA synthesis platforms from early concept through validation and commercialization stages.
- Lead an interdisciplinary team of molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, automation engineers and software developers to ensure timely execution of projects.
- Work with the technical and commercial teams to define project requirements and develop a comprehensive project plan that includes project scope, timeline, budget, and resource allocation.
- Provide technical expertise for making project decisions and troubleshooting.
- Communicate project status and strategy with stakeholders, including team members, senior management, and customers, to ensure everyone is kept up to date on project progress.
- Work with departmental heads, managers, and other stakeholders to develop team goals and delegate tasks to the appropriate team members.
Essential Candidate Profile:
- Ph.D. in chemistry, molecular biology, synthetic biology or a related field.
- 5+ years' experience and deep expertise in molecular biology techniques and enzymes. Particularly PCR, DNA manipulation, analysis and purification.
- Experience leading multidisciplinary projects from early research through product launch.
- Strong track record of working in a highly collaborative environment on multidisciplinary projects.
- Strong leadership skills demonstrating setting a vision and building a cohesive team environment around it.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills for continuous evaluation of project path and troubleshooting.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of bioinformatics and molecular biology workflow automation to define and understand project requirements and specifications.
- Effective team management and delegation skills.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
- Experience with Phase gate-based product development process.
- Demonstrated success in technical leadership and people management.
- Strong understanding of mRNA therapeutics space.
- Life Science Tools industry experience, preferably in one or more startups
Salary and Benefits:
The annual base salary compensation for this role, if based in California is: $155,000 - $185,000. Compensation may be different in other locations. Final compensation also includes bonus, equity and benefits. Specific offer packages are determined by multiple factors, including candidate skill, experience, expertise, and location.
✓ Healthcare ✓ Dental ✓ Vision ✓ Learning Allowance
✓ 401K ✓ Flexible PTO ✓ Short Term Disability ✓ Fitness Allowance
About The Company:
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.
Elegen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Elegen provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic characteristics, or any other category protected by law. All applicants have rights under the following Federal Employment Laws: