Software Engineer - Image Processing
Software Engineer – Image Processing
Employment status: Full-time position with a competitive compensation and benefits package
At Concerto Biosciences, we are obsessed with microbes. We dream of a healthier world where microbial ecology enables advanced medicines and environmentally-conscious agricultural practices, and that starts by finding the right microbes for the job. Using a technology called kChip, we rapidly identify the most promising microbes, prebiotics, and postbiotics for development into new products by constructing and observing millions of microbe combinations in parallel to assess the behavior of each community. In our first endeavor, Concerto constructed >6 million communities of skin-dwelling microbes to discover an ensemble of bacteria to alleviate eczema—a chronic, irritating, and psychologically stressful skin disease that affects over two hundred million people. We have since initiated discovery projects in vaginal health, gut health, and agriculture. In partnership with a diverse array of biotech and biopharma companies, Concerto aims to unleash a new era of microbial research and a host of microbe-based products.
We believe the best human communities, much like microbial communities, are diverse—composed of individuals with different backgrounds, cultures, genders, and beliefs. We are committed to building a company where you belong and where your voice is heard.
As a Software Engineer specializing in Image Processing at Concerto, you will be responsible for processing experimental image data from our lab and extracting meaningful signals from the millions of microbial communities pictured within them, as they grow and change over time. This role will include optimization and improvements to the current analysis process, bug fixes and feature additions to the pipeline, and new algorithm design to extract diverse signals and image features as novel imaging strategies are developed in the lab. In support of new development, one aspect of your work will involve collaborating with engineering leadership and laboratory scientists to ensure your methods capture biological significance of the data, as you will play a crucial role between laboratory and data science. Beyond algorithm development, you will have opportunities to work with other members of our software team on any additional areas of interest to support the development of our broader data infrastructure, including visualization and debugging methods to assess algorithm performance, cloud deployment methods, and data storage and API design.
Experience with every individual aspect of our data pipeline, including the upstream biology, is not required. However, a solid grasp of standard software development practices and a willingness to jump in and get up to speed quickly are essential. At its core, this role is about creative problem-solving, algorithm design, and producing high-quality, production-ready Python code. Finally, as an early member of Concerto’s expanding team, you’ll play a critical role in developing Concerto’s culture and translating core values into practice.
- Assess and improve existing classical image processing methods for speed, accuracy, and efficiency
- Design, implement, and deploy algorithms to analyze novel imaging content from the lab and facilitate downstream data analysis
- Deliver well-formatted, production ready code in Python
- Contribute to the development of the broader data infrastructure surrounding the image processing pipeline, including cloud deployment and downstream data storage
- Work cross-functionally with laboratory scientists and data scientists to understand how image processing intersects with their work and to define and deliver tools that best support their efforts
- Write clear and complete functional specifications and documentation for the tools you build
- Promote code quality and readability through regular code reviews, unit and CI testing, and adherence to style guidelines
- Embody Concerto’s core values in your work
- 0–3 years of experience as a Software Engineer, experience in an image processing-specific role preferred
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
- An understanding of and experience implementing pixel-level image processing methods
- Fluency in Python programming and familiarity with standard Python development tools
- Experience with standard libraries or packages in Python used for image analysis
- Understanding of software design patterns, software architecture, and version control (e.g. Git)
- Familiarity with AWS cloud technologies e.g. EC2, ECS, and Lambda
- Familiarity with SQL databases (e.g. Postgres) and API design
- Clear communication styles and a willingness to collaborate across engineering and laboratory science teams
COVID-19 Policy: If it is mandated by our landlord and your job requires you to be on-site, you may be required to receive a COVID vaccination as a condition of employment. If you are not or will not be vaccinated due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief, please contact us to discuss whether a reasonable accommodation can be provided.
Apply via LinkedIn