Senior Counsel, Commercial
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare
beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
We are seeking a deeply thoughtful, hardworking, emotionally intelligent, organized, and pragmatic attorney who is excited to serve as Cityblock’s corporate counsel partnering with the Commercial team & Network on all health plan partner and partner related work. This role will play an integral role in helping to drive Cityblock’s performance by building, optimizing, and transforming our market growth through contracts and will report into the General Counsel. This role will:
- Support Cityblock’s Commercial teams in a wide variety of strategic, risk-based alliances and business development activities across all Cityblock markets
- Proactively identify problems within the assignment and adjacent functions and drive to positive and impactful solutions.
- Manage large-scale deliverables with little or no oversight.
- Manage multiple functional areas, each as more fully outlined below:
- For Growth:
- Lead drafting, editing, and negotiating all revenue generating (and related) agreements with payor partners (including but not limited to LOIs; Definitive Agreements; BAAs; etc)
- Assist the Growth teams to advance short-term and long-term best practices for value-based and fee-for-service contracting, including governing terms, reimbursement rates and structures, reporting, and contract template structure.
- Provide assistance in navigating structural and regulatory considerations, such as: multistate organizational licensure (such as IPAs and ACOs); multistate utilization review licensure and certification needs; compliance implications of increased clinical and financial integration models, privacy and security, and data sharing and reporting; and the applicability of the Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback Statute, civil monetary penalty laws, and corporate practice of medicine doctrines.
- Serve as a critical and a collaborative thought partner with the Commercial team and the broader leadership team by translating complex legal topics into relevant, insightful explanations that inform strategic and operational decisions.
- Represent Cityblock externally during negotiations with health plan partners.
- Take learnings from past negotiations to continually improve our contracts and negotiating strategy.
- For Partnerships:
- Work collaboratively with the partnership and business teams to answer legal questions that arise during the course of our relationships.
- Design contract extractions for partnership and business teams so folks across the organization can easily operationalize the contracts.
- For Network:
- Partner with Network team to draft and negotiate contracts that support our Network strategy.
- Design contract extractions for network and business teams so folks across the organization can easily operationalize the contracts.
- Continually hone our processes to maximize efficiency and capture learnings to speed up deal cycles and promote high customer satisfaction and appropriate oversight of network partnerships.
- Establish excellent rapport and working relationships with colleagues in order to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
Requirements for the Role:
- You have a JD degree (required) and are barred in NY or eligible to be barred in NY
- 7+ years of work experience
- Transactional background with an in-house legal department for a healthcare company or law firm preferred
- Excellent multitasking and prioritization skills with a proven ability to manage multiple contract negotiations and provider agreements in parallel
- Prior experience in an externally facing capacity
- Radical candor and comfortability working within an often ambiguous, high growth environment
- Exceptional management, mentorship, and communication skills that are conducive to an environment where issues are identified and resolved
- Mission driven to serve in an organization dedicated to bringing novel care delivery models to underserved populations
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.
We take into account an individual’s qualifications, skillset, and experience in determining final salary. This role is eligible for health insurance, life insurance, retirement benefits, participation in the company’s equity program, paid time off, including vacation and sick leave, and any other tax-reportable benefits. The expected salary range for this position is $170,100 to $230,500. The actual offer will be at the company’s sole discretion and determined by relevant business considerations, including the final candidate’s qualifications, years of experience, skillset, and geographic location.
Medical Clearance (for Member-Facing Roles):
You must complete Cityblock’s medical clearance requirements, which include, but may not be limited to, evidence of immunity to MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella, and a TB screen, or have an approved medical or religious accommodation that precludes you from being vaccinated against these diseases.
Covid 19 Update - Please Read:
Cityblock requires those hired into this position to provide proof that they have received the COVID-19 vaccine. Any individuals subject to this requirement may submit for consideration a request to be exempted from the requirement (based on a valid religious or medical reason) on forms to be provided by Cityblock. Such requests will be subject to review and approval by the Company, and exemptions will be granted only if the Company can provide a reasonable accommodation in relation to the requested exemption. Note that approvals for reasonable accommodations are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis and availability of a reasonable accommodation is not guaranteed. This vaccination requirement is based, in part, on recently established government requirements. The requirement is also based on the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine in protecting against COVID-19, and our shared responsibility for the health and safety of members, colleagues, and community.