Senior Software Engineer, Platform
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
We are looking for an Engineer to help build and improve the core architecture of our user-facing systems, used by hundreds of care providers every day. You will join our Application Services (Platform) Engineering team whose goal is to make developing and deploying code at Cityblock more efficient, reliable, secure, and generally…pleasant! Our stakeholders are all of Cityblock’s engineers and we frequently pair or mob collaboratively with them to help understand their problems and create systemic solutions.
Examples of our recent projects include: Developing monitoring and logging frameworks for our web application, pubsub consumers, and cloud functions, introducing TypeGraphql as a means to reduce GraphQL boilerplate, debugging performance issues across GraphQL, React, and Cloud Run, and rewriting our CI pipeline from CircleCI to Github Actions.
Our existing applications generally use: React, GraphQL, Typescript, TypeGraphQL, Node.js, and Postgresql, and leverage GCP through Cloud Run, BigQuery, GCS and Cloud Functions. On App Services, we also work heavily with tools like Terraform, Datadog, Github Actions, Tonic, and Apollo. Experience with these types of tools are helpful, but not critical.
If you like building great developer experiences, are seeking out entrepreneurial opportunities, and are an amazing teammate, we want to hear from you!
- Write and review code up and down the stack as needed. Some days it’s Typescript, some days it’s SQL or Infrastructure!
- Create code, processes, and frameworks to ensure we are using industry best practices across the org for producing reliable software that’s intuitive to develop.
- Write clean, well-tested, well-documented code that will stand the test of time.
- Participate in creating and maintaining strict compliance, data privacy and security measures.
- Help recruit highly capable engineers to the team from diverse backgrounds.
- Mentor engineers, new team members, and apply technical expertise to help others grow effectively. While also continuously growing to upgrade your skills and thinking as an engineer.
Requirements for the Role:
- You are invigorated by the complexities of building durable, scalable health tech and have a passion for mission driven work.
- You have a process-oriented mindset, and are comfortable writing and debating design documents.
- You enjoy working across the stack and have a willingness to debug and resolve problems in unfamiliar code.
- You have a knack for working in new areas of code and jumping through the full stack to troubleshoot the most complex problems. Then working on systematic code/process/educational improvements to help us avoid similar problems in the future.
- You think in terms of systems and how they should be structured in order to support both scale and maintainability.
- You have 4+ years experience writing production code.
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise.
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.We take into account an individual’s qualifications, skillset, and experience in determining final salary. This role is eligible for: health insurance, life insurance, retirement benefits, participation in the company’s equity program, paid time off, including vacation and sick leave. The expected salary range for this position is $105,400 to $145,900. The actual offer will be at the company’s sole discretion and determined by relevant business considerations, including the final candidate’s qualifications, years of experience, skillset, and geographic location.
Medical Clearance (for Member-Facing Roles):
You must complete Cityblock’s medical clearance requirements, which include, but may not be limited to, evidence of immunity to MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella, and a TB screen, or have an approved medical or religious accommodation that precludes you from being vaccinated against these diseases.
Covid 19 Update - Please Read:
Cityblock requires those hired into this position to provide proof that they have received the COVID-19 vaccine. Any individuals subject to this requirement may submit for consideration a request to be exempted from the requirement (based on a valid religious or medical reason) on forms to be provided by Cityblock. Such requests will be subject to review and approval by the Company, and exemptions will be granted only if the Company can provide a reasonable accommodation in relation to the requested exemption. Note that approvals for reasonable accommodations are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis and availability of a reasonable accommodation is not guaranteed. This vaccination requirement is based, in part, on recently established government requirements. The requirement is also based on the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine in protecting against COVID-19, and our shared responsibility for the health and safety of members, colleagues, and community.