Head of Real Time Operations
Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines passing by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Our paid products—Citizen Protect and Citizen Plus, enhance the Citizen experience by offering users powerful features like police scanner radio, historical incidents, custom alerts zones, and access to a digital guardian 24/7 help. Subscribers have used Citizen Protect to de-escalate tense domestic situations, guide emergency response to remote hiking locations, travel safely on late-night walks and Ubers.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to hundreds of cities nationwide.
Citizen is backed by 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised $100M+ in VC funding.
About the Role
We are seeking a Head of Real Time Operations to lead our 24/7 incident creation team that is the heart of the Citizen App. This is the largest organization at Citizen with over 40 people, and a unique operation that combines analog media and cutting edge technology, powered by people.
This person is an analytics-oriented operator, obsessed with moving the metrics that save lives every day. They will be relentlessly focused on org structure, making sure the processes and people match the strategy. Passionate about public safety and the transparency of information, you will provide creative oversight to a team of people that deliver real-time information to millions of people.
The role requires a seasoned people leader, with a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth, humility, and innovation, enhanced by a combination of best practices and a vision for the future. The Head of Real Time Operations will report directly to our CEO.
- Lead and manage the daily operation of Citizen’s 40+ person, 24/7 Mission Control team to guide national and local safety and news coverage for millions of users.
- Supervise the standards and best practices of thousands of incidents created daily by the Mission Control team.
- Directly manage teams supporting video and content moderation, incident follow-through and support for Citizen Protect through our team of on-demand Safety Agents.
- Oversee and work daily with the team’s Director and Operations Managers across multiple shifts to lead and coordinate local safety alerts and major breaking news stories 24/7, and lead on-demand safety response through Citizen Protect.
- Facilitate communication and collaboration across different teams focused on specific domains, e.g. information sourcing, product improvements, subscription features.
- Be a champion for an innovative, diverse, and highly-collaborative team culture that promotes solution-driven idea generation, open communication, and teamwork.
- Recruit, develop, train and retain talent throughout the Mission Control team.
- Identify effective and efficient approaches and processes across the daily operation and help the team iterate on these practices to constantly promote growth and progress.
- Manage and allocate resources to achieve strategic, operational, and budgetary goals.
- A proven people leader with 10+ years of experience managing a large (100+ person) 24/7 operations center, newsroom, or other high intensity operation where seconds matter.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with proven ability to effectively manage, lead, and develop a diverse team of people into a cohesive high-performing team.
- Prior experience managing large remote teams, while building strong relationships as an organizational culture driver.
- Highly collaborative and a superior communicator with strong personal credibility to build trusted relationships and influence and achieve buy-in across levels and audiences.
- Proven ability to make decisions on editorial judgment, daily content, complex operations and logistics in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong operational background and a track-record of analytically setting goals and then leading, inspiring, and motivating others to deliver and measuring results.
- Flexible and open to constantly-changing priorities and managing multiple tasks simultaneously within tight time frames.
- Ability to think outside the box, innovate, and lead the team through periods of rapid growth.
Salary Range & Benefits:
The below represents the expected salary range for this position in New York, New York. We take a number of factors into account when determining compensation including your location, experience, and other job-related factors.
Salary Range: $175,000 to $210,000 annually + equity + benefits
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.
Something looks off?