Environmental Health and Safety Manager
ByHeart is an infant nutrition company built from the ground up to deliver real innovation on behalf of babies and parents. Our mission is simple: make the best formula in the world. That’s why we studied the latest breast milk science, worked directly with suppliers we know and trust, set uncompromising quality standards, developed our own small batch blending process, built our own manufacturing facilities, and conducted a groundbreaking clinical trial. Our goal is to create a future where all parents feel amazing about feeding their baby—no matter how they do it.
When we launched our Whole Nutrition Infant Formula in March 2022, we were the first new U.S infant formula manufacturer in 15 years. Since then, we’ve been leading the way in a lot of ways.
- The only U.S.-made infant formula to use organic, grass-fed whole milk
- The first and only U.S. infant formula company to add the two most abundant proteins found in breast milk—alpha-lac and lactoferrin—to our ingredients list
- The first infant formula company to receive Clean Label Project’s Purity Award (and we test for 700 contaminants vs the required 400)
- We ran the largest clinical trial by a new infant formula brand in 25 years—clinically proving our benefits vs a leading infant formula like:
- Less spit up
- Softer poops
- Easier digestion
- More efficient weight gain
- Enhanced nutrient absorption
- Longer stretches between nighttime feeds*
With >$250M in funding, we’re shifting the industry forward—and this is just the beginning. Help us build a future where all parents can feel amazing about feeding, by joining our growing team of >275 people that stretches across the country.
We're proud to offer competitive, family-first benefits, including but not limited to:
- Health insurance for the whole family: medical, dental, & vision insurance covered 100%, with 90% coverage for your family.
- Flexible paid time off: plus 12+ company holidays, and 2 floating holidays to use at your discretion!
- 16-weeks of fully-paid parental leave and new parent support: free 1-year supply of formula, cozy feeding suites, and paid pumping time.
- Up to 6% 401(k) Match to help you plan for your future.
- Company equity for every employee: because when we succeed, we succeed together!
- White House Roundtable: President Biden Meets with Infant Formula Manufacturers
- Business Insider: ByHeart Announces Published Data in a Scholarly Journal on Benefits of The Novel High Quality Protein Blend in Their Groundbreaking Next-Generation Easy to Digest Infant Formula
- Governor Wolf Press Conference: Gov. Wolf highlights state investment in ByHeart, first new formula manufacturer in 15 years
- CBS News: As parents scramble to find baby formula, a new manufacturer is seeing soaring demand
- Forbes: A Startup Wanted To Make A Better Baby Formula. It Took Five Long Years.
*based on data from infants at approximately 4 months of age
Reports To: Plant Manager
Location: Reading, Pennsylvania
Start Date: ASAP
The Environmental, Health, and Safety Manager is responsible for facilitating compliance with occupational health and safety guidelines. The EHS manager will create a Safety Program at the manufacturing facility and implement policies to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
- Responsible for all safety inspects in the workplace.
- Develop and lead safety team.
- Develops and implements inspection policies and procedures, and a schedule of routine inspections.
- Create and manage health and safety monitoring systems and policies in the workplace.
- Advises and lead employees on various safety-related topics.
- Manage emergency procedures.
- Conducts risk assessments and reports.
- Plans, implements and conducts preventive care, safety, and compliance training programs for company.
- Samples, measures, and evaluates employee exposures to in-plant chemical contaminants, including lead and acid mist; and physical agents such as heat and noise exposure.
- Manages the plant personal protective equipment, work clothing and safety equipment programs according to company standards and operating budget.
- Administers the respiratory protection program, including quantitative fit testing, respirator distribution, cleaning, and sanitizing.
- Administers the plant hazard communication program, including maintaining up to date SDS's, effective identification of all chemicals, chemical inventory and related training and education programs.
- Inspects equipment and machinery for unsafe workplace conditions.
- Investigates accidents and incidents to find cause and takes prevention measures for further incidents.
- Reports on health and safety awareness, issues, and statistics.
Skills & Qualifications
- Outstanding attention to detail and observation ability.
- Deep understanding of legal health and safety guidelines.
- Excellent organizational and motivational skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks especially when handling an accident or incident.
- Good understanding of data analysis and risk assessment.
- Certified in risk management and health/safety management.
- Bachelor's degree required. Occupational Safety/Industrial Hygiene or related field highly preferred.
- Minimum four years of experience in a manufacturing environment with a minimum of 2 years of experience in a supervisory/management role.
- Previous experience with air sampling and monitoring.
- Experience with administering a hazardous communication program, including managing, and leading an emergency response team.
- Proficient in MS Office
In this role, you will be eligible for a discretionary performance based annual cash bonus and to participate in our company’s equity program, plus our robust medical, dental, vision, retirement, and other benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.