Quality Assurance Lab Technician
ByHeart is an infant nutrition company built from the ground up to deliver real innovation on behalf of babies and parents. Our mission is simple: make the best formula in the world. That’s why we studied the latest breast milk science, worked directly with suppliers we know and trust, set uncompromising quality standards, developed our own small batch blending process, built our own manufacturing facilities, and conducted a groundbreaking clinical trial. Our goal is to create a future where all parents feel amazing about feeding their baby—no matter how they do it.
When we launched our Whole Nutrition Infant Formula in March 2022, we were the first new U.S infant formula manufacturer in 15 years. Since then, we’ve been leading the way in a lot of ways.
- The only U.S.-made infant formula to use organic, grass-fed whole milk
- The first and only U.S. infant formula company to add the two most abundant proteins found in breast milk—alpha-lac and lactoferrin—to our ingredients list
- The first infant formula company to receive Clean Label Project’s Purity Award (and we test for 700 contaminants vs the required 400)
- We ran the largest clinical trial by a new infant formula brand in 25 years—clinically proving our benefits vs a leading infant formula like:
- Less spit up
- Softer poops
- Easier digestion
- More efficient weight gain
- Enhanced nutrient absorption
- Longer stretches between nighttime feeds*
With >$250M in funding, we’re shifting the industry forward—and this is just the beginning. Help us build a future where all parents can feel amazing about feeding, by joining our growing team of >275 people that stretches across the country.
We're proud to offer competitive, family-first benefits, including but not limited to:
- Health insurance for the whole family: medical, dental, & vision insurance covered 100%, with 90% coverage for your family.
- Flexible paid time off: plus 12+ company holidays, and your kid’s birthday off!
- 16-weeks of fully-paid parental leave and new parent support: free 1-year supply of formula, cozy feeding suites, and paid pumping time.
- Up to 6% 401(k) Match to help you plan for your future.
- Company equity for every employee: because when we succeed, we succeed together!
- White House Roundtable: President Biden Meets with Infant Formula Manufacturers
- Business Insider: ByHeart Announces Published Data in a Scholarly Journal on Benefits of The Novel High Quality Protein Blend in Their Groundbreaking Next-Generation Easy to Digest Infant Formula
- Governor Wolf Press Conference: Gov. Wolf highlights state investment in ByHeart, first new formula manufacturer in 15 years
- CBS News: As parents scramble to find baby formula, a new manufacturer is seeing soaring demand
- Forbes: A Startup Wanted To Make A Better Baby Formula. It Took Five Long Years.
*based on data from infants at approximately 4 months of age
The Quality Assurance Lab Technician supports plant operations by performing microbiological, physical and chemical analysis on raw materials and food products from various stages of the manufacturing process as directed by the Quality Assurance Manager and provides assistance to the operations team. Provides support and assistance to the Quality Assurance Manager by performing auditing and inspection functions for glass and hard plastic, post-cleanup, sanitation, pest control, and security. Accuracy, reliability, and expediency are essential to the successful completion of the duties of a Quality Assurance Technician.
Reports To: Quality Operations Manager
Location: ByHeart Facility in Portland
Start Date: ASAP
- Performs chemical and physical analysis (including flavor checks) on product, ingredient and control samples according to laboratory procedures. Need to understand the concepts of each analysis, anticipate the result and follow through on any deviation.
- Records all product analyses according to laboratory protocols including data entry on a computer system. Falsifying a record will result in disciplinary action.
- Communicates effectively all critical information regarding analysis, procedures, and test results. Handwriting must be clearly legible.
- Prepares product sampling materials.
- Cleans and maintains all equipment/materials used while keeping the laboratory clean and organized.
- Follows all laboratory and plant GMP and safety procedures according to company guidelines.
- General plant QA responsibilities may include (but are not limited to): collection and distribution of product and ingredient samples, environmental swabbing, ATP swabbing, air sampling, water sampling, allergen testing, and safety checks.
- Covers all lab responsibilities during the absence of the Quality Assurance Manager.
- Assist production group with duties as requested which may include general cleaning.
Skills & Qualifications
- Associates degree in related field, bachelor’s degree preferred
- 2 years’ experience of working in a lab environment; food manufacturing preferred
- Infant Formula or Food manufacturing experience preferred.
- Competency in performing functions that ensure product quality, safety, and compliance to applicable SOPs and GMP regulations such as data entry, results from assessments, internal audits, CAPA resolutions, and records review
- Must be self-disciplined, a team player, and be able to handle emergency situations common to the operation
- Must be able to maintain and display personal cleanliness and follow GMPs’ as described in company guidelines
- Must be able to write clearly and in an organized fashion
- Must be able to use a computer, MS office, and other company provided software
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.