Senior Manager, Food Safety Sanitor
ByHeart is an infant nutrition company built from the ground up to deliver real innovation on behalf of babies and parents. Our mission is simple: make the best formula in the world. That’s why we studied the latest breast milk science, worked directly with suppliers we know and trust, set uncompromising quality standards, developed our own small batch blending process, built our own manufacturing facilities, and conducted a groundbreaking clinical trial. Our goal is to create a future where all parents feel amazing about feeding their baby—no matter how they do it.
When we launched our Whole Nutrition Infant Formula in March 2022, we were the first new U.S infant formula manufacturer in 15 years. Since then, we’ve been leading the way in a lot of ways.
- The only U.S.-made infant formula to use organic, grass-fed whole milk
- The first and only U.S. infant formula company to add the two most abundant proteins found in breast milk—alpha-lac and lactoferrin—to our ingredients list
- The first infant formula company to receive Clean Label Project’s Purity Award (and we test for 700 contaminants vs the required 400)
- We ran the largest clinical trial by a new infant formula brand in 25 years—clinically proving our benefits vs a leading infant formula like:
- Less spit up
- Softer poops
- Easier digestion
- More efficient weight gain
- Enhanced nutrient absorption
- Longer stretches between nighttime feeds*
With >$250M in funding, we’re shifting the industry forward—and this is just the beginning. Help us build a future where all parents can feel amazing about feeding, by joining our growing team of >275 people that stretches across the country.
We're proud to offer competitive, family-first benefits, including but not limited to:
- Health insurance for the whole family: medical, dental, & vision insurance covered 100%, with 90% coverage for your family.
- Flexible paid time off: plus 12+ company holidays, and your kid’s birthday off!
- 16-weeks of fully-paid parental leave and new parent support: free 1-year supply of formula, cozy feeding suites, and paid pumping time.
- Up to 6% 401(k) Match to help you plan for your future.
- Company equity for every employee: because when we succeed, we succeed together!
- White House Roundtable: President Biden Meets with Infant Formula Manufacturers
- Business Insider: ByHeart Announces Published Data in a Scholarly Journal on Benefits of The Novel High Quality Protein Blend in Their Groundbreaking Next-Generation Easy to Digest Infant Formula
- Governor Wolf Press Conference: Gov. Wolf highlights state investment in ByHeart, first new formula manufacturer in 15 years
- CBS News: As parents scramble to find baby formula, a new manufacturer is seeing soaring demand
- Forbes: A Startup Wanted To Make A Better Baby Formula. It Took Five Long Years.
*based on data from infants at approximately 4 months of age
The Senior Manager, Food Safety Sanitor is responsible for all activities related to food sanitation in a powder infant formula manufacturing and packaging environment. This individual plays a pivotal role in establishing and documenting a proactive, formal, compliant sanitation program, and ensuring alignment across sites. The Senior Manager, Food Safety Sanitor must possess the background and technical aptitude related to food plant sanitation programs, cleaning validations, chemical handling, and Food Safety Programs and be able to enact this expertise through a multi-facility organization.
- Build and enhance strategic sanitation programs and processes to ensure plant operations meet sanitation requirements for machinery, equipment, facility, and effective monitoring.
- Oversee sanitation practices at a multi-facility organization with required travel minimum of 30%.
- Develop site sanitation managers and employees to achieve and maintain sanitation objectives.
- Work with sites to develop a proactive, evolving sanitation program based.
- Support sites in building, maintaining, and ensuring compliance with a Master Sanitation Schedule and related documentation.
- Audit sanitation effectiveness and cleaning frequencies in accordance with the Master Sanitation Schedule.
- Make recommendations for improvements and lead improvement teams.
- Work with site managers to maintain chemical inventory quantities on an ongoing basis and interact with the chemical supplier for advice on training or issues related to sanitation.
- Participate in the development and auditing of SSOP’s.
- Strictly enforce safety and GMP policies and maintain superior plant cleanliness.
- Responsible for directing the necessary activities required to maintain the site cleaning validation programs and improvements.
- Responsible for maintaining and ensuring compliance with Pest Management policies.
- Responsible for developing policies for site contractors / vendors activities as it relates to quality / facility GMP adherence.
- Effectively communicate expectations and requirements with chemical suppliers and third party consultants.
- Lead sanitation related non-conformities and investigations.
- Maintain good communication with subordinates, peers, and members of management.
- Effectively communicate plans, strategies, and goals with peers and executive team members.
- Oversee development of a strategic sanitation program, policies, plans and processes to ensure that sanitary performance meets cGMP / SQF standards as well as supports Food Safety requirement towards regulatory compliance.
- Participate in audits, facility inspections and pre-operational inspections.
Competency & Skill Requirements
- Knowledge of Database software; Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
- Knowledge of the GMP, HACCP and Environmental sanitation program is preferred.
- Experience with third party regulatory agencies such as GFSI, SQF and FDA, preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge with CIP & COP process.
- Experience developing and overseeing sanitation programs and teams, preferred.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leading multi-site improvements.
Education and/or Experience Requirements
- Four-year college degree in food science or science related field, or five years’ experience working in food / pharmaceutical manufacturing and experience with facility and equipment cleaning and sanitation.
- This job requires the employee to be able to handle chemical storage containers utilizing lift equipment.
- Adhere to all safety policies and procedures, follow CGMP's, and work in a manner consistent with all corporate and regulatory, food safety, quality, and sanitation requirements.
- Will comply with all applicable federal, state, and local standards for the manufacture of infant formula and other non-infant nutritional foods.
The minimum annual salary for this position is $127,000 and the maximum is $140,000. The salary range for performing this role outside of New York City will differ. This is a remote role, requiring >30% travel. You will be eligible for a discretionary performance based annual cash bonus and to participate in our company’s equity program, plus our robust medical, dental, vision, retirement, and other benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.