PHP Backend Developer
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2024
Founded in 2022 by Joey Levy and Jake Paul, Betr is a leading sports gaming and sports media company focused on enhancing the consumption of sports through entertainment.
Betr's gaming products are differentiated through a unique product experience with a simplified user interface that is catered to the casual sports fan, enabling Betr to capture more of the under-penetrated online gaming addressable market. Betr began with a beta version of its Online Sports Betting (OSB) product, which only offered microbetting markets such as the next play in a football game or the next pitch in a baseball game, before launching its real-money Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) product, Betr Picks, in 24 states. Betr plans on launching its V1 Sportsbook product with full sportsbook capabilities ahead of the 2024 NFL season, as well as its iGaming vertical with the launch of Betr Casino by the end of 2024.
Betr's media division, Betr Media, is the fastest growing sports betting media brand in the United States that has grown to over 2.5 million followers, 2.4 billion impressions, and 127 million engagements across its social channels since publicly launching in August 2022. Betr Media is able to effectively reach and engage its audience at scale given its large social following coupled with its unique combination of in-house media talent and production, with an emphasis on original short-form video content.
Betr is backed by Fuel Venture Capital, Aliya Capital Partners, Roger Ehrenberg/IA Sports Ventures, Florida Funders, 8vc, Anti Fund, 305 Ventures, and many others.
About the role:
The Betr team is seeking a highly skilled PHP Backend Developer to join their team. The primary focus of this role will be to contribute to the development and expansion of the current Laravel betting platform. You will be working alongside a team of five experienced PHP developers who are responsible for handling the core business functions of betr's gambling application. Please note that this position is specifically for backend development and does not involve any frontend work. Join us and be a part of an exciting team working on cutting-edge technology!
This role is remote and only open to people living in Canada.
- Build amazing consumer experiences, taking responsibility for code quality, scalability, reliability and performance
- Like to work remotely on complex problems
- Work closely with product managers, designers, and other engineers to understand business requirements and translate them into technical specifications
- Have strong communication skills, the ability to articulate complex and technical concepts across teams, & understand the value of over communication (engineering teams succeed and fail based on the level of communication)
- Practice disciplined software engineering, are passionate about writing clean, readable code, & are constantly striving to improve the code you encounter
- Have worked in a scrum environment, understand, and want to contribute to our continuous efforts to improve our development infrastructure and processes
- A self-starter with a positive attitude
- Experience with asynchronous programming
- Experience with Laravel
- A lifelong, passionate sports fan with a deep understanding of how to engage fans
- 5+ years of experience writing code on the PHP
- Know more than 1 programming language (Kotlin or Java would be nice)
- Understand the value of writing unit tests
- Experience working remote
- Knowledge of database design and SQL
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage & ensure quality work (completeness & accuracy)
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Self-motivated and able to drive initiatives from end-to-end
- An entrepreneurial mindset with excellent organizational skills, the ability to be flexible, & prioritize responsibilities
Betr provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We deeply understand the value of bringing together a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply
Thank you for your interest in Betr. We look forward to reviewing your application.