Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Translational Medicine
About our Company
Appia Bio is a preclinical stage biotech company founded in 2020 with the mission to bring innovative off-the-shelf cell therapies to cancer patients. Our novel platform can generate a broad array of allogeneic NKT and T cell types and can be engineered to address challenges in tumor microenvironments. Our goal is to discover and develop allogeneic cell therapies across a broad array of cancer indications with a scalability that increases access for patients.
Our research programs are rooted in leveraging T cell biology to generate NKT and T cell subtypes from hematopoietic stem cells. The scientific foundation of Appia Bio is underpinned by collaborative research led by Lili Yang (UCLA), David Baltimore (Caltech), and Pin Wang (USC), and further advised by a stellar scientific advisory board. The management team brings decades of experience in R&D, Technical Operations and business in the biotech industry.
About the Role
Appia Bio is seeking a highly motivated scientist to join our Translational Medicine Team. The individual will be responsible for the development of translational biomarker assays to support clinical trials for our CAR-NKT products.
- Design, develop and optimize clinical biomarker assays including but not limited to ddPCR, flow cytometry and immunoassays to determine pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, safety and efficacy of CAR-NKT products.
- Detect CAR transgene levels using ddPCR to monitor CAR-NKT cell expansion and persistence in blood and bone marrow.
- Develop multicolor flow cytometry assays to characterize cellular kinetics, phenotype, and cellular immunogenicity of the infused CAR-NKT cells.
- Develop multiplex immunoassays to detect levels of serum cytokines and chemokines and incidence of anti-product antibodies.
- Work with internal teams, CROs and collaborators to validate and implement clinical biomarker assays for clinical trial sample analysis.
- Analyze, interpret, and present biomarker data to key stakeholders.
- Effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams to advance early-stage projects into clinical development.
- Act as a technical expert in translational biomarker assays and provide guidance to internal teams and external collaborators.
- Ensure that all biomarker assays are performed in a timely manner with appropriate documentation.
- Evaluate new technologies and assays that enhance identification and understanding of predictive biomarkers associated with clinical response.
- Ph.D. in immunology, biology, or related discipline with 3 - 5 years of experience within biotech or pharmaceutical industry.
- In-depth knowledge of translational medicine and clinical biomarkers in drug development.
- Strong hands-on experience and expertise in ddPCR/qPCR, multicolor flow cytometry, ELISA, and multiplex immunoassays (e.g., MSD, Luminex).
- Experience in other biomarker assays, such as IHC and single cell sequencing is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently with multitasking capability.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, capable of conveying technical information in a clear and thorough manner.
Final compensation for the successful candidate is determined by various factors, including educational credentials and relevant job or industry experience. The advertised pay range is indicative and generally applicable to candidates meeting the job description's criteria. In line with our commitment to fairness and competitive compensation, we will consider your unique skill set and overall profile. Additionally, we offer a comprehensive benefits program designed to meet your individual needs.
Culver City Pay Range
$104,000 — $176,000 USD
Competitive Compensation Packages | Cost Sharing for Health Insurance Premiums | Flexible Work Environment | Untracked PTO | 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan Match | Life Insurance & Disability| Awesome Culture | Challenging & Fulfilling Work | Equity Options | and more
Appia Bio requires COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. As required by applicable law, we will consider requests for reasonable accommodations.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Appia Bio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.