Scientist I/II (Protein Biochemistry)
About our Company
Appia Bio is a preclinical stage biotech company founded in 2020 with the mission to bring innovative off-the-shelf cell therapies to cancer patients. Our novel platform can generate a broad array of allogeneic NKT and T cell types and can be engineered to address challenges in tumor microenvironments. Our goal is to discover and develop allogeneic cell therapies across a broad array of cancer indications with a scalability that increases access for patients.
Our research programs are rooted in leveraging T cell biology to generate NKT and T cell subtypes from hematopoietic stem cells. The scientific foundation of Appia Bio is underpinned by collaborative research led by Lili Yang (UCLA), David Baltimore (Caltech), and Pin Wang (USC), and further advised by a stellar scientific advisory board. The management team brings decades of experience in R&D, Technical Operations and business in the biotech industry.
About the Role
Appia Bio is seeking an innovative and experienced Protein Biochemist ready to take on the challenge and opportunity presented by the new frontiers of cell therapy. The research programs at Appia will be focused at the intersection of immunology, cell engineering, and cancer biology. The scientist will be a key member of the scientific team that shapes a culture of intellectual rigor and collegiality at Appia.
- Design protein expression constructs of both soluble and membrane proteins in eukaryotic hosts for use as antigens and immunogens
- Generate purified protein of soluble and membrane protein targets as well as Ab-based target binders (g. scFvs, Fabs, etc.)
- Characterize biophysical properties of targets and binders (g. thermostability and binding affinity)
- Develop assays to functionally screen lead binders to be incorporated as chimeric antigen receptors (CARs).
- Design and execute on proof-of-concept cell biology/immunology experiments (including phenotypic and functional characterization) of novel cell therapy approaches.
- Contribute to a Biology research group with a culture of scientific excellence, teamwork, and innovation.
- Develop strong relationships and communicate effectively with the executive staff, other members of the biology group, and academic founders.
The successful candidate will be an accomplished scientist with a track record of success in academia and/or the biotechnology industry. More senior candidates will have a minimum of 5 years of research experience after their degree including experience in industry. The ideal candidate may have experience in protein biochemistry, protein engineering, cell biology, immunology, or cell therapy engineering.
- A B.S., M.S., Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. in Protein Biochemistry or a related field.
- Extensive experience in recombinant protein expression, purification, and characterization are essential (g. target overexpression in mammalian cell systems, AKTA-based chromatography, Octet or SPR-based affinity measurement).
- Broad experience in routine biochemistry laboratory techniques including western blotting, ELISA, etc.
- Previous experience with display technologies (yeast or phage) and antibody-based lead molecule discovery are pluses.
- Highly motivated self-starter with strong presence, work ethic, exceptional interpersonal skills, and focus.
- Deep knowledge, and keen intellect for integrating novel science and emerging technologies to address complex problems.
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to build transparent and collaborative relationships across the company and with other stakeholders of the company.
Competitive Compensation Packages | Cost Sharing for Health Insurance Premiums | Flexible Work Environment | Untracked PTO | 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan Match | Life Insurance & Disability| Awesome Culture | Challenging & Fulfilling Work | Equity Options | and more
Appia Bio requires COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. As required by applicable law, we will consider requests for reasonable accommodations.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Appia Bio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Something looks off?