Industrial Engineer Intern- Summer 2024
Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, November 3, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
Anduril’s Manufacturing team is seeking a Industrial Engineer Intern to join our team. The Manufacturing Team is responsible for rapidly iterating and building cutting-edge defense hardware, including static equipment, moving ground equipment, and flight vehicles. This responsibility includes supporting the manufacturing teams working alongside and assisting industrial engineers to improve the production efficiencies of some of Anduril’s key product lines. Support efforts will be focused around researching and studying existing Production workflows to identify opportunities to improve safety, Quality, Cost, or delivery.
Industrial engineers strive to create efficient manufacturing systems that combine and coordinate machines and their operators, materials, utilized energy, and information. Doing an internship in industrial engineering, you will get a chance to get a glimpse of all of this in action.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Involved in a portion of the manufacturing value chain for a certain product or set of products.
- Develop novel systems and controls to drive solutions in quality and productivity for fabrication and assembly of structural parts.
- Develop process flows, breaking down large, complex assemblies into a logical part flow of subassemblies and sub-processes.
- Complete time studies of production tasks, to help identify waste and bottlenecks in the manufacturing process.
- Assist industrial engineers to perform process improvement tasks using key lean manufacturing tools and techniques.
- Assist in designing & developing facility layouts to optimize product flow, focusing on floorspace utilization and minimizing material transportation and conveyance.
- Work with technicians and other engineers hands-on, to identify opportunities to improve ergonomics at lineside operations.
- Assist industrial engineers in capturing process data, analyze and visualize in the form of Key Performance indicators.
- Internships or school related experience in a relevant field, preferably manufacturing or design of electromechanical hardware
- Pursuing a Bachelors degree in engineering, math, hard science, or any related field
- Approaching Junior year or beyond at the time of the internship
- Must be returning to school at the end of their internship to continue their academic studies
- Some exposure to Lean Manufacturing philosophies and principles
- Demonstrated in-kind or direct team leadership skills, with backing examples.
- Personal experience physically manufacturing hardware via any means (machining, fabrication, soldering, assembly, etc.) Work on personal or extracurricular projects is a plus.
- A genuine interest in manufacturing and thirst for learning
- U.S. Person status is required as this position needs to access export controlled data
- Exposure to manufacturing of automotive, aerospace or defense related products
- Exposure to, or involved in a fast-paced, resource-limited environment.
For Full Time Employment Opportunities: The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!