Research Associate/Senior Research Associate, Cell Models
To restore cell health and resilience through cellular rejuvenation programming to reverse disease, injury, and the disabilities that can occur throughout life.
Diversity at Altos
We believe that diverse perspectives are foundational to scientific innovation and inquiry.
We are building a company where exceptional scientists and industry leaders from around the world work side by side to advance a shared mission.
Our intentional focus is on Belonging, so that all employees know that they are valued for their unique perspectives.
At Altos, we are all accountable for sustaining a diverse and inclusive environment.
What You Will Contribute to Altos
This is a hands-on role that reports directly to the Hub Director. The successful candidate will be part of the BioVault team, which serves to integrate and standardize all cellular activities at Altos Labs, including cell engineering, cell banking, validation and quality control. In addition, the successful candidate will provide technical support for several projects undertaken by multidisciplinary teams at Altos Labs, requiring active scientific engagement with our scientists. This is a full-time position that offers opportunities for further training and professional development.
- Assists Hub Director in Hub infrastructure development and implementation of procedures, processes and protocols for biological material processing, collection, storage, engineering, curation and distribution between the Altos Labs Institutes of Science in the Bay Area, San Diego and Cambridge.
- Supports the maintenance and upkeep of Hub equipment, management of waste streams, inventory and stocking of critical reagents, supplies, and materials.
- Responsible for biological material banking including maintenance of cell, plasmid, and microorganism collection.
- Performs cell culture functions, including culture and quality assessments of cell lines including iPSCs using cell modeling and cell engineering standard operating procedures.
- Performs quality control testing and characterization assays on cell lines and critical reagents.
- Assists with the design and implementation of cell modeling and cell engineering projects, initiatives, and services.
- Supports management of cell lines and materials/reagent inventories, including updating and maintaining hard copy and digital records, entering new materials in inventory and databasing tools, and fulfilling distribution requests.
- Maintains accurate and complete electronic notebook records.
- Records analysis and presents results and data.
- Assists with problem-solving and assay development to improve operational workflows.
- Effectively communicates using digital platforms and through in-person interactions.
- Supports Foundry activities, collaborating with scientists in the creation of biological reagents such as engendered cell lines.
Who You Are
A proven track record of successfully culturing and maintaining mammalian cell lines is essential for this role. The candidate should also be able to work effectively both independently and collaboratively with Altos Labs researchers and Innovation Hubs. The level of the position will depend on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
- BS in Biomedical Science or related discipline.
- 3+ years of practical cell culture experience in a biological / medical / pharmaceutical research environment.
- Experience with planning and implementing cell culture experiments.
- Highly organized and self-motivated.
- Meticulous attention to detail with a solution-driven mindset.
- Strong communication skills, with proven ability to work with diverse and cross-functional teams.
- Ability to multitask and work across multiple projects simultaneously.
- Flexible with the ability to react positively to changing priorities.
- High level of computer literacy to maintain electronic records.
- Hands-on experience with mammalian cell engineering using CRISPR tools.
Salary range: Research Associate I, 83,300-112,700; Research Associate II, 97,750-132,250; Senior Research Associate, 109,650-148,350
Job ID 515
What We Want You To Know
We are a culture of collaboration and scientific freedom, and we believe in the values of diversity, inclusion and belonging to inspire innovation.
Altos Labs provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Altos currently requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exemptions (e.g., due to a medical condition or sincerely-held religious belief).
Thank you for your interest in Altos Labs where we strive for a culture of scientific freedom, learning, and belonging.
Note: Altos Labs will not ask you to download a messaging app for an interview or outlay your own money to get started as an employee. If this sounds like your interaction with people claiming to be with Altos, it is not legitimate and has nothing to do with Altos. Learn more about a common job scam at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-spot-avoid-online-job-scams-biron-clark/
Something looks off?