Director/Senior Director Intellectual Property
To restore cell health and resilience through cellular rejuvenation programming to reverse disease, injury, and the disabilities that can occur throughout life.
Diversity at Altos
We believe that diverse perspectives are foundational to scientific innovation and inquiry.
We are building a company where exceptional scientists and industry leaders from around the world work side by side to advance a shared mission.
Our intentional focus is on Belonging, so that all employees know that they are valued for their unique perspectives.
At Altos, we are all accountable for sustaining a diverse and inclusive environment.
Who You Are
Altos Labs™ is a biotechnology start-up that is dedicated to unraveling the deep biology of cellular rejuvenation programming. Our mission to restore cell health and resilience to reverse disease, injury, and disabilities that occur throughout life. We are seeking an energetic and creative patent lawyer or patent agent to join a dynamic legal department that enables highly collaborative organization to do great science and translate that science into novel therapeutics.
To thrive in this role, you should:
- Love to deeply learn and understand groundbreaking science;
- Flourish as an embedded member of science and product teams so that you co-create high value patent portfolios;
- Relish solving problems in new ways;
- Be curious and creative regardless of ambiguity and uncertainty;
- Revel in being part of, and contributing to a diverse and inclusive team; and
- Be energized by working in a fast-paced start up.
- These positions report to the head of Global Intellectual Property. We have one onsite position at each of our sites (Redwood City, California; San Diego, California; and Cambridge, United Kingdom).
- Deeply understanding our science and being a trusted advisor and partner to our Principal Investigators and their teams in managing confidentiality, creating IP portfolios, and designing a highly collaborative ecosystem with academic and other 3rd
- Identifying and evaluating of data for patentability and invention capture.
- Preparing global patent applications and over time prosecuting and maintaining global patent portfolios.
- Conducting due diligence assessments and providing pragmatic and actionable advice based on those assessments.
- Developing positive, strong, and close partnerships with other legal, business, and science functions to provide strategic advice and strategy on IP matters.
- Providing advice and counsel on trade secrets, copyrights and trademarks as needed.
- Maintaining current knowledge of IP case law and emerging industry trends.
- Finding creative solutions to resolve business issues and balancing competing priorities while managing legal and operational risks.
- Comfortably navigating ambiguity while providing pragmatic and actionable legal advice.
- Managing outside counsel work product and budget.
- Fostering a culture of high integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and partner with science, R&D, and business teams. Must be able to craft innovative, business-oriented solutions and both lead and assist in executing them.
- Willingness to tackle matters of first impression and outside of areas of expertise.
- Attentive to detail, willing to roll up your sleeves to get into the details and drive creative solutions, while also being able to think on the fly and drive effective decision making.
- Able to work collaboratively, think practically, and use sound judgment.
- Adept at working independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering an inclusive and diverse workforce that enables all participants to contribute to their full potential.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to create and sustain lasting relationships with internal stakeholders and management teams.
- Excellent focus, prioritization, and project management skills.
- Global legal experience a plus.
- 7+(Director) / 12+ (Sr. Director) years of experience as patent prosecutor, preferably including law firm and industry experience.
- Life science industry experience is required. Pharma or tech industry experience a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required in biology, chemistry, computational or related sciences. Advanced degree is strongly preferred.
- Registered before United States Patent and Trademark Office or qualified as European Patent Attorney.
- If US attorney,
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school is required.
- Admitted to California Bar or ability to qualify as Registered In-House Counsel.
The salary ranges for this position are: Director $318,750 to $431,250; Senior Director $341,700 to $462,300
What We Want You To Know
We are a culture of collaboration and scientific freedom, and we believe in the values of diversity, inclusion and belonging to inspire innovation.
Altos Labs provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Altos currently requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exemptions (e.g., due to a medical condition or sincerely-held religious belief).
Thank you for your interest in Altos Labs where we strive for a culture of scientific freedom, learning, and belonging.
Note: Altos Labs will not ask you to download a messaging app for an interview or outlay your own money to get started as an employee. If this sounds like your interaction with people claiming to be with Altos, it is not legitimate and has nothing to do with Altos. Learn more about a common job scam at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-spot-avoid-online-job-scams-biron-clark/
Something looks off?