Senior Engineering Manager, Data Enrichment
Affinity stitches together billions of data points from massive datasets to create a powerful, accurate representation of the world's professional relationship graph. Based on this data, we offer our users the insights and visibility they need to nurture and tap into the opportunities in their team's network.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, you'll support creating the magic that underlies Affinity's industry-leading relationship intelligence by leading Affinity’s Data Enrichment team.
Our Data Enrichment team ingests data from various external data sources to build out a data platform that is used by our Relationship Intelligence (ML) team. This is a highly complex area with one record consisting of datapoints from many data sets, which makes entity merging and data correctness challenging. We are looking for an Senior Engineering Manager that values career development, mentorship, and is technical leader who can drive the technical direction of the team while aligning to our strategic vision.
What you’ll be doing:
- Drive design and build data engineering systems, services, and data platforms that serve as a repository for our ML engineering and CRM teams.
- Drive complex technical, architecture, design, and product discussions.
- Leading, coaching, and inspiring our engineers on the team.
- Identify and fill gaps on the team, and create the processes necessary for the teams’ success.
- Lead SCRUM processes, e.g., daily standups, sprint plannings, and retrospectives.
- Scale the team by hiring additional talented engineers to fill existing gaps and provide the necessary velocity to meet product goals.
- Help define our Data Enrichment roadmap. You'll collaborate with our fast-growing team of engineering, product, and business leaders to improve the quality of our data and enable our teams to quickly iterate on feature engineering and model experimentation.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every qualification. At Affinity, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t perfectly align with the qualifications above, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
- You have 10+ years of experience working in data engineering with at least 4+ years of acting as an engineering manager, leading complex, sometimes ambiguous engineering projects across team boundaries
- You have experience mentoring and helping the engineers around you grow.
- You have experience partnering with product and machine learning teams on large, strategic data projects and routine partner work.
- You have extensive hands-on experience in building scalable data platforms and reliable data pipelines using technologies such as Spark, Hadoop, DataBricks, AWS SQS, AWS Kinesis, and/or Kafka.
- You have experience working with large, multi-terabyte datasets and are comfortable with high-scale data ingestion, transformation, and distributed processing tools such as Apache Spark (Scala or Python).
- Experience with AWS, DBX or related cloud technologies.
- You're comfortable with the building blocks of modern back-end systems, such as horizontally scalable data infrastructure, event-driven architecture, and beyond and can clearly articulate the pros/cons of different approaches, while also providing a recommended solution based on the current context.
- You have familiarity with databases and analytics technologies in the industry, including Data Warehousing, Data Lakes, ETL and Relational Databases.
- You take pride in delivering exceptionally high quality work in terms of data accuracy, performance, and reliability.
- You’re eager to contribute your ideas and experiences to help Affinity continuously improve as a product and company.
Nice to have:
- Experience with Ruby.
- Experience with Graph connectivity.
How we work:
Our culture is a key part of how we operate as well as our hiring process:
- We iterate quickly. As such, you must be comfortable embracing ambiguity, be able to cut through it, and deliver incremental value to our customers each sprint.
- We are candid, transparent, and speak our minds while simultaneously caring personally with each person we interact with.
- We make data driven decisions and make the best decision for the moment based on the information available.
Join us in enabling every professional on the planet to succeed by harnessing the power of their relationships.
If you’d want to learn more about our values click here.
What you’ll enjoy at Affinity:
- We live our values as playmakers, obsessed with learning, care personally about our colleagues and clients, are radically open-minded, and take pride in everything we do.
- Health Care coverage and flexible personal & sick days. We want our team to be happy and healthy :)
- We provide an annual budget for you to spend on education and offer a comprehensive L&D program – after all, one of our core values is that we’re #obsessedwithlearning!
- We support our employee’s overall health and well-being and reimburse monthly for things such as; Transportation, Home Internet, Meals, and Wellness memberships/equipment.
- Virtual team building and socials. Keeping people connected is essential.
Please note that the role compensation details below reflect the base salary only and do not include any variable pay, equity, or benefits. This represents the salary range that Affinity believes, in good faith, at the time of this posting, that it will pay for the posted job.
A reasonable estimate of the current range is $134,000 to $202,000 CAD. Within the range, individual pay is determined by factors such as job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
We have raised over $120M and are backed by some of Silicon Valley’s best firms, with over 2000 customers worldwide on our platform. We are proud to have a 4.5 Star Glassdoor rating and recently ranked; Inc.’s Best Workplaces of 2022 and Great Places to Work 2022. Passionate about helping dealmakers in the world’s biggest relationship-driven industries to find, manage, and close the most important deals; our Relationship Intelligence platform uses the data exhaust of trillions of interactions between Investment Bankers, Venture Capitalists, Consultants, and other strategic dealmakers with their networks to deliver automated relationship insights that drive over 450,000 deals every month.
Something looks off?